Chapter 1

"And on top of it all, I got yelled at by my boss because I didn't sort out the music albums by alphabetic order!" I raised my voice in frustration, trying to explain my friend Calum why I actually hate my job.

I heard him smile through the phone. "Lay, I have no idea what to tell you except I have to go!" he chimmed and suddenly hung up on me. I looked at my phone screen, confused and disappointed.

"I hate my job." I murmured under my breath, lazy to put my phone in the bag so I just threw it on the cashier.

The cold breeze suddenly caught up to my bare arms and I instantly regretted not putting long sleeves today. It was cold and rainy but my lazy mind suggested not driving back home to take a jacket once I left but to freeze instead, all because I wouldn't be late for work that I despised anyway. The sound of raindrops falling on the shop's window took over my thoughts as I sat down in a huge, old and uncomfortable chair behind the same, old cashier.

I seriously had to reconcider my job. Not only it was bad, it was horrible. Should I start from irregular and generally small paychecks or the awful space the shop took place in. Every day I had to get up at 5 am and drive an hour and a half just so I could get to work on time and then I'd just sit behind the counter in the same, boring chair not doing anything every single day. I thanked God that I had to last just a few more days so I can move in in my friend's flat that she had spare. She agreed I could live there as long as I don't make troubles with my future roomate and pay my half of the bills, so that was a pretty good deal.

It wasn't until I heard some noise behind some of the shelves that I realised someone was actually in the shop with me. I stood up and decided I'd go see if the costumer needs any help.

As I walked behind the big shelves, I found a tall man figure, he was wearing black jeans and a black hoodie. A dirty-red snapback was covering his blonde, messy hair that was dripping from the rain.

"Hello sir, can I help you with anything?" I asked politely, bringing his attention. He looked at me with his bright blue eyes and I couldn't help but notice a few freckles on his nose.

"Maybe. What records would you reccomend?" he asked, pointing to the big box of albums and music records. His voice was deep but it cracked on every second word, and I instantly noticed his Australian accent.

I walked over behind him to get a better look of the albums but I couldn't see anything over his broad shoulders.

"Um.. Sir, would you mind?" I stuttered awkwardly, slightly tapping the top of his shoulder. He turned around with a confused face. When he noticed what I asked, he smirked, showing me his white, perfectly lined up teeth.

"Sorry." he mumbled, still smirking. I gave him a polite smile, slightly blushing, and began digging through the albums.

"I'd reccomend this one by All Time Low." I finally said, handing him the album. He took it between his thumb and pointer finger and shook it in front of my face.

"I got this one just recently." he explained and put it back to its place.

"Oh." I trailed off, thinking what I could give him next.
"Maybe this one by Blink 182?" I remembered and offered the album to the boy, hoping he'd take it. He looked at me amazed and nodded, taking the album out of my hands and walking away to pay it.

"Okay..." I mumbled to myself and followed him to the counter, but I didn't even notice he's suddenly stopped walking. Clumsily, I bumped into his muscular back, having to catch his foream to gain my balance again.

"Did you say something?" he asked, looking behind his shoulder down at my confused face. His face was unreadable, but he was serious. I quickly removed my hand from his and stuttered a quick 'No'.
We came to the cashier and he waited for me to get to my working place.

"You're too pretty to work in a shithole like this." he then suddenly blurted out, taking my phone and observing it.
"Excuse me?" I asked, taking my phone from his hands and now putting it in my bag. I took the record he has decided to buy and charged it.

"I'm just thinking out loud." he smirked again, tugging at his lip ring with his teeth. "Sorry."

I rested my hand on my hip and stared at him through my thick eyelashes for a couple of seconds.

"It's okay, don't apologize." I finally said when I noticed his awkwardness coming up from his red cheeks.

"Thanks though." I added and handed him the bag with the album in it. "That will be twenty five, please."

He reached to his back pocket and took out the money, handing it to me in a small, crawled up ball. I did my best to flatten it out, which seemed to entertain him, judging from the smile on his face and the posture he now took, leaning on the side wall with his legs crossed, as well as arms on his chest.

"Thank you, have a good day." I then said, again professionally.

"See you later Layla." he waved from behind and left the shop, leaving me with the chimming door bells and more rain sounds.

I sighed taking off my name tag and putting it away silently cursing to myself.

Why do costumers like that even have to know the workers' names.

I sat back in my chair again, thinking about what to do to entertain myself. When I picked up my phone ready to play any game I could find, I noticed my shift was over and I could go home.
I cheered quietly to myself and picked up my things as fast as I could, not being able to wait for a good, long nap when I finally come home.