chapter fourty!

𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖙𝖍, 𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖙𝖞

*    *    *

*    *    *

( 𝖉𝖎𝖛𝖎𝖓𝖊 𝖒𝖔𝖛𝖊 )

If she were honest, Isabelle didn't think life could get any worse than this. After the events at Oak Creek, they were taken down the station to be interviewed before being released to go home. Daniel, who had arrived at the camp alongside Chris gave Lydia and Elle a lift home. When Isabelle and Daniel stepped through the front doors, instead of comforting their daughter, their parents continued shouting abusive things to each other, ignoring their children's presence.

Dan had to guide Elle to her room and help her get ready for bed as she was still in a state of shock. He stayed with her for the whole night, running hands through her hair to make sure she went to sleep, casting a small charm to keep any dreams away.

When she woke, Dan had left but a cup of tea was on her bedside table for her. She checked her messages from Scott and Lydia saying they were going to see Deaton if she wanted to join to distract herself.

She got herself ready quick and sped there. By the time she arrived, Scott and Lydia had just gotten inside. "Stiles and Kira said it was the Nemeton that kept it trapped." She heard Scott before she joined them in the main room.

"The problem is this isn't even a person you're fighting. It just looks like one. It's a spirit that's taken the shape of a human." Deaton said.

Isabelle wrapped her arms round one of Scott's, hugging it close to her as she rested her head on his shoulder. He pressed a kiss to her hair as he held on tightly to Lydia on his other side, trying to comfort his friends in the chaos.

"The shape of my best friend".

"Someone caught it once. Someone can do it again, right?" Lydia asked.

"I don't know. This thing was trapped a long time ago, before the Nemeton was cut down. It doesn't have the same power anymore."

"Is there anything that does?" Isabelle asked the vet.

"Possibly. When the tree was whole, its wood was sometimes used to contain powerful objects. But those objects are very rare."

"Wait a second. Powerful objects? Like an Alpha's claws?" Lydia asked, an idea forming.

"Which Alpha?"

"Talia Hale. Peter had them in this wooden box with a triskele carved on the lid. What if it was made from the Nemeton?"

"It was."

"How do you know?"

Deaton sighed. "Because I made it."