chapter twenty seven!

𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖙𝖍, 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞 𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓

* * *

*    *    *

* * *

(  𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖍𝖔𝖗𝖘  )

Stiles was asleep in his room, squirming restlessly with a nightmare. He whimpered and repeated, "No, no, no, no, no Don't let them in. Don't let them in. No, don't let them in."

Bars of light started to shine across his face, and he woke up suddenly trapped inside a locker. It was difficult to tell if he thought he was lying down or standing up. He beat the door open until he finally stumbled out into the boys locker room at the school.

As he wandered the halls, he was drawn to an open classroom. The nemeton tree stump was growing through the floor of the room, and the light outside cartwheeled. Stiles slowly reached for the nemeton, and as his hand gets closer, tendrils of wood snaked out and wrapped around his arm.

He gasped awake.

Elle sat up next to him, frowning and rubbing his arm. "You okay? Stiles?"

Stiles let out a big exhale, placing his hand on top of hers, which engulfed it in size. "Yeah, I was just dreaming. It was weird. It was like a dream within a dream." He rested his forehead on top of her hair as she kissed his bare arm.

"A nightmare?"

Stiles sighed. "Yeah." He seemed to go quiet for a minute. "Wait a second, Elle. What are you doing here? You couldn't stop tonight." The door to his bedroom creaked open, distracting him. "Hang on."

Elle lifted her head up. "Stiles, where are you going?"

Stiles untangled their arms, "I'm just gonna close the door."

Elle reached for his hand. "Just go back to sleep."

Stiles protested, "No, no, I should close it."

"Don't worry about it."

"What if someone comes in?" Stiles wondered aloud.

Elle scoffed. "Like who? Just go back to sleep, Stiles."

Stiles was stood right next to the door at this point. "But what if they get in?"

"What if who gets in? Stiles, just leave it. Please. Stiles. Stiles, come back to bed. Stiles. Please. Don't, Stiles. Don't! Don't go in there, please, don't. Please, Stiles, don't!" Elle pleaded with him, desperately.