chapter twenty five!

𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖙𝖍, 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞 𝖋𝖎𝖛𝖊

* * *

*    *    *

* * *

Magic.

"Magic?" Elle stared at her brother. "Did my Hogwarts letter get lost or something?" She chuckled.

Dan rolled his eyes, knowing she'd say something like that. "No Hogwarts, no broomsticks, no green skin- although it would be a vast improvement for you- and no weird cackling."

Elle looked slightly put out by the fact that the fictional wizarding school was truly fictional but went to slap her brother about the green skin comment. "So, how...?"

Dan took a deep sigh and stared at the floor. "It's in the family-"

"What?! Mum and dad have magic and didn't tell me? I'm going to ki-"

"No! They don't know. They can't know okay? They won't get it and they'll treat you like they treated me when I was 18."

"How can they not know if it's in the family? Does that mean they know that you have magic? What is going on Dan!" The blonde was so close to screaming at her infuriating older brother and stood up to pace around him angrily.

Dan gave a sharp tug to her wrists to get her to come flying back to the ground where he could see her properly. "They don't know because it skips every three generations. So the last people to have magic were our great grandparents. But technically they didn't have it so it was even earlier, it's why no one knows."

"How could they not have it if they were the third generation?"

"Did you know you had it this time last year?"

"No...."

"There you go then. You get your powers at 18. Our great grandfather didn't live till 18 because of some war or something so they didn't know."

"But I'm not 18 yet." Elle pointed out.

"No, which means it was triggered early. My guess is by that nasty werewolf bite that Peter Hale gave you."

Elle stared at him curiously but didn't mention how he knew about her bite. She wasn't sure he would answer truthfully anyway. Instead she chose to quiz him on his eighteenth birthday. "Why did mum and dad treat you different and kick you out when you were eighteen if they didn't know you had magic?"

"I already knew about the supernatural." He took in a deep breath, "I've been friends with Derek my whole life, there was no way I couldn't know about werewolves and other supernatural creatures."

Elle waited for him to carry on but he seemed to be lost in thought. She snapped her fingers in front of his face to snap him out of his daze.

"I spent all my time at the Hale house, learning about the supernatural. The, um, the beastia-"