Chapter Thirty

*Thirty chapters later... and we're finally there 😏*

 and we're finally there 😏*

•Callie•

Crappy motels in dying towns have never peaked my interest.

When you're used to staying in places like the Lotus back home, dropping in quality is a big change.

But, Gray is with me. We have each other to get us through the nights spent sleeping in said motels and the days spent driving to a different, small town.

Gray hasn't been driving with any direction, zigzagging across the state, taking us countless extra hours to pass through New Mexico and Oklahoma until we finally get into Arkansas.

Three more motels and forty hours later, we finally stop at another cheap hotel in a little town surrounded by farmlands.

The rolling green fields pass us by on our way into the lowly populated area and I'm met with the sight of several tractors and picturesque red barns.

Unlike the few inn's we've stopped at before, this one is relatively nicer - and by nicer, I mean all the letters are still on the sign and the parking lot isn't littered with potholes and weeds.

Gray checks us in while I sit in the car, staring out at the little playground across the street where a mother sits watching her child swing, a smaller child nestled against her chest.

I'm momentarily struck by memories of my own mom.

Her pale blonde hair that she always kept tied back, refusing to let the length get in her way and threatening daily to chop it all off just to piss off my dad.

Her smile, so kind and warm and inviting that with just that one look, it could make you feel like you were home.

My mom was a force to be reckoned with. She didn't take any shit and dished it out with the club all the time. Elders used to hate her for being so outspoken, but I saw her as an icon. She was badass and I miss her every day.

Thinking about my mom only brings on thoughts of Gray's foster family and the women that have shuffled in and out of his life, coming and going, being ripped away.

He's never had a stable environment. Never had a mother to stay in his life. And when he finally found the woman who could love him like a son? She's taken from him in the most horrific of ways.

Blade has always claimed our parents died in a car accident while they were on a trip in California. Years have passed and he's always said it was just an accident. A freak accident.