Chapter 34

(COLE)

The days seem to blend together and I couldn’t imagine how Athena was doing with the pregnancy without me. I know she’s strong and would take care of our babies, but I hate knowing she has to go through this alone. I hate not being able to take care of her and seeing her body change from the pregnancy. I miss her complaining, food cravings, her hugs, her lips and miss feeling the babies move around. Sitting here not being able to do anything is driving me crazy.

Pushing off the floor I begin to pace back and forth thinking what I could do. I look over to Phil who is passed out in the corner of the cell when this sharp pain shoots through my side, making me fall to me knees as I scream in agony.

“What is it?” Phil asks and now by my side.

“I don’t know, I think its Athena. Something is wrong” I tell him through the pain.

“The babies” He whispers in a panic. I need to get out of here, like now!

(Athena)

I wake up in the hospital feeling foggy and very tired. I slowly adjust my eyes to the light in the room and reach for the mask on my face. I pulled it off and looked around to spot Ben passed out in the chair.

“Ben” I called out, and his eyes flew open.

“Athena your awake” He jumped out of the chair and made his way to me.

“Wha-what happ- the babies” I cried out and quickly looked down and notice my belly was still there.

“The babies are fine, you started to go into labor but they stopped it” He told me as he reached for my hand for comfort.

“They said your stressed out and on your feet too much. You apparently have preeclampsia and need to be on bed rest” Ben informs me.

“What’s preeclampsia? Will the babies be okay?” I begin to panic.

“Let me get the doctor so he can look you over and explain everything” He tells me and then left me to go get my doctor. After he left the room I began to cry, because this is my fault for over doing it. Nigel was right that Cole would want me to make sure I take extra care of our babies, but I was worrying about finding him.

After meeting with the doctor he explained that Preeclampsia is defined as high blood pressure in pregnant women over twenty weeks in a woman. Even a slight increase in blood pressure may be a sign of preeclampsia. If left untreated it could lead to serious complications for the babies and I. So he informed me that I need to be on bed rest till the babies come, and I was going to do what I needed to do to keep the babies and I healthy.

The Descendant and her ProtectorOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara