Talking to the River 13

Lan QiRen and the others spent the night at the inn too. In very early in the morning they departed. Lan WangJi joined them outside the inn. They flew on their swords towards the Cloud Recesses. After everything that happened, no one spoke much. Lan QiRen, Lan WangJi and even Jiang Cheng's faces were indifferent. Jin Ling was uneasy but still quite silent and Lan SiZhui was only looking down with the heavy feeling of grief he felt in his chest. To their surprise Wen Ning was with them too. His usual facial expression didn't change much but his eyes showed the desperation he felt. Wei Yang probably told him about their past too.

They arrived the Cloud Recesses strictly at 5 am. Without anything spoken they all parted to do their own daily works. Lan SiZhui and Lan JingYi silently went to have breakfast before the class starts. Lan QiRen asked a disciple to give their guests rooms to rest and left afterwards. The told disciple lead Jiang Cheng and Jin Ling to their rooms. Wen Ning was welcomed inside too even though he got a stern look from Lan QiRen. He silently went towards Lil apple and the rabbits. Lan WangJi left towards the Jingshi. When he arrived he placed his guqin on the table and kneeled beside it. He wasn't able to get any sleep at night. He kneeled beside Wei WuXian all night thinking their past together, thinking his actions towards situations. He thought about the times when Wei WuXian truly showed emotions. Wei WuXian was always very attached to his family so those times were mostly related to the occasions concerning his family. Before, he thought he could see right through Wei WuXian; he somehow knew his smiles were fake, his cheerings were forced. But yesterday he was hit with the hard truth that he didn't understand him as good as he believed to. Wei WuXian had so much more inside of his heart and he was so much more fragile than he thought. Another thing he noticed was, even though they were so close with each other, he realized that Wei WuXian never dared get fully drunk with him. Yesterday, seeing him truly drunk he understood why Wei WuXian didn't want to be drunk like that with the crowd but he never got drunk like that when he was alone with Lan WangJi either. He felt his heart ache a little at this thought. He closed his eyes and started playing his guqin in order to calm his emotions which were pouring from his heart.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

~Caiyi Town~

Wei WuXian woke up with a heavy headache. He grumbled as he held his head and got up on the bed. His eyes were almost closed due to the irritation of photosensitivity. His body ached all over. He couldn't stop his whimper from slipping out of his mouth as he hang his feet down. After getting used to the light his eyes widened. He realized the bandages all over his body. He couldn't remember what happened after they drank with Wei Yang. He got up and slowly headed outside. His feet felt like he was walking on blades, he grimaced. He didn't know what happened yesterday but at least he was with his little brother, or thats what he thought anyway. He walked past the door and towards the hall. He saw Wei Yang entering the inn. Their eyes met and he started walking towards Wei WuXian with a guilty smile.

Wei Yang "Brother, you finally woke up"

Wei WuXian "Ugh, I did and my head feels like a tanker about to explode."

Wei Yang "Of course it would be like that,. No matter how many times I told you to stop, you wouldn't listen to me and kept on drinking anyway!"

Wei WuXian "Hmm, so thats what happened. Well, what else did I do?"

Wei Yang seemed bewildered "You do not remember?"

Actually, Wei Yang was informed beforehand that his brother injured himself running through the woods. But he was asked by Lan WangJi not to tell him anything. He wasn't told any details but he still thought it was for the best his brother didn't know he was with Lan WangJi when he was drunk to the point that he couldn't remember. Wei WuXian knitted his brows "No, I don't. Please enlighten me? Especially about the bandages."

Wei WuXian wanted to know so he could make his excuses when he was explaining them to Lan WangJi. Wei Yang smiled, he wouldn't lie to his brother just because he was asked, but he still wouldn't say everything "You ran away in the night. It seems you ran in the woods barefoot and also bumped quite a lot of trees. When I realized you went outside I started searching for you. I searched for half an hour and when I came back to check the room again, you have already returned and you were injured"

Wei WuXian laughed "Huuh, is that so. Well, good thing I returned by myself then, huh?"

Even though he wouldn't show it, Wei Yang was a little relieved his brother didn't ask any further. He gave one of the breads he bought, to his brother trying to terminate the topic completely "What shall we do today, brother"

Wei WuXian "Well, I haven't thought about that but I think we should return to the Cloud Recesses first. How about we talk about the rest after that?"

Wei Yang nodded. With that said, they returned to their room to gather their belongings and left the inn.

------------------------------------
Oh my, finally this chapter was completed. It was the hardest chapter I wrote so far. Sorry for making you wait longer, here is a cookie for you🍪