Talking to the River 9

It makes me so happy to see all your support! Thank you for your good comments💙
_________________________

Wei WuXian blinked a couple of times, he cleared his throat and started speaking with a solemn face "Mother and father was just about to leave to go night-hunting. I had a bad feeling about the hunt and I didn't want them to leave so I threw a big tantrum. After trying to reason with me for so long mother finally gave in. She held both my arms and pinned me to a place...She spoke up 'Ying, you know we must go night-hunting. This is what cultivators do, and we are doing it to bring peace to the regular people. They need us in order to live peacefully. You are going to become a cultivator too, you must not cry over something like this." Wei WuXian had to stop for a second to prevent his voice from cracking. He gulped and spoke again "Promise me Ying, from now on you will never cry in front of others. No matter what happens, you will keep on smiling. You're only allowed to cry when you're with your family. Now repeat it if you understand.' So after I wiped my tears and sniffed I repeated 'I will never cry in front of others. No matter what happens!' After I promised her she hugged me, she said 'Here's my good boy!' Then she hugged you too, as she was about to leave she smiled and said 'I love you both so much' and then she left..." Wei WuXian ended his sentence with a small smile.

Over at the side where they were eavesdropping the conversation, everyone was astonished. Some thought time to time that Wei WuXian's smile was strange but non was expecting something like this. They simply thought he had a screw loose. Remembering their ill behaviours to him upon seeing his smile, they felt so remorseful. Lan WangJi was sternly looking down, the corners of his eyes were tinted red. He seemed like he was fighting hard to maintain his indifference.

Wei Yang "Even though your memory is a mess, you remember it all so clear."

Wei WuXian smiled bitterly "Of course I do. It was my last conversation with mother after all."

Wei Yang stayed silent for a second, then he spoke up solemnly "Brother, come back with me."

In the corner, Lan WangJi widened his eyes.

Wei WuXian was confused "Come back? Where?"

Wei Yang "To the mountains."

Wei WuXian mused "What are you talking about Yang. BaoShan SanRen said it herself that in the mountains there couldn't be more than one of the same family. How could I come?"

Wei Yang "Truth is, the reason it took me almost a year to get a permission to visit you was... also because I asked for permission to bring you back with me. BaoShan SanRen already knew you stirred up trouble in the mountain before to make her choose me and cast you out. She never resented you for anything, in fact she once told me she regarded you with much esteem. She permitted, brother. You are allowed to come back to the mountains with me!"

Wei WuXian's features froze. After some time adjusting to the situation he wanted to burst out laughter again but upon seeing his brothers serious face, he held it in with much struggle. He smiled genuinely "I am flattered by your offer and I can not be grateful enough by BaoShan SanRen's words. But my life is here Yang. I do not belong in the mountains like you. I've lived and even died in this world. This is where I belong."

This was truly the first time in a very long while Wei WuXian felt like he belonged somewhere. Thinking of this his stomach filled with warmth "With much gratitude, I must refuse your offer."

Wei Yang was bewildered "You refuse? Why? There isn't anything binding you to this place is there?!"

Wei WuXian smiled with much sincerety. Seeing his brothers warm, soft smile he suddenly widened his eyes with realization "Is it because of that Lan WangJi guy? Are you seriously turning down my offer because of him?"

He saw his brothers unfaltering smile, he quickly added "M- maybe he can come too! He seems like a decent man, I'm sure I can get him a permission from BaoShan SanRen, we can go together, we-" looking at his brothers sympathetic face, before he could speak more his face froze dreadfully and he backed down.

Wei WuXian leaned forward and stroke his little brothers head gently with his slender fingers. Wei Yang's head hung low. Upon seeing his brothers heartfelt smile, he had no choice but to acknowledge his defeat. Wei WuXian "It's not only because of Lan WangJi. I still need to keep on looking after Jiang Cheng, I couldn't keep my promise to him about being his subordinate for all my life but I still want to be at his side whenever he needs me. I'm sure he would never admit needing me though hahahaha... and I need to be sure Jin Ling doesn't only takes after all of his fathers and uncles bad habits. He should learn to be more kind and caring towards others like my shijie and I'm sure Jiang Cheng wouldn't be able to give it to him hahaha. I also still want to see how SiZhui and the others will become in the future. Yang, I am bonded to this world with more then one string."

Wei Yang rubbed his forehead with his right hand, his eyes were brimming with tears. He understood his brother made up his mind long ago, and there was no way of changing it. He spoke with a hoarse voice "I can not persuade you, can I?"

Wei WuXian answered "I'm sorry Yang."

Without moving his head, Wei Yang looked up and slightly to the left only with his eyes "I hope that Lan WangJi guy cherishes you properly." It was a warning to Lan WangJi directly, he was saying you better be worthy of my brother and not let him get upset. Even though Lan WangJi knew Wei Yang won't be able to see him, he still nodded with devout.

Wei WuXian sneered "You shouldn't think about those stuff, you are the little brother dummy"

Wei Yang looked at his brothers smile, he had been looking at it again and again ever since their conversation started. He noticed that every time they mentioned Lan WangJi, his brothers smile would soften and warmth would spread his features. Wei Yang smiled bitterly, he admitted "You truly love him... as much as I hate that I will be leaving without you, I am relieved. It seems you are finally smiling like you used to. I am so happy to see you found someone to make you smile like that again brother."

Wei WuXian "Yes, yes, yes. It's your turn to bring me a wife you little bean."

Wei Yang blushed "Don't call me a bean, I am not a kid anymore!"

Wei WuXian bursted "Pfft- ahahahaha okay okay calm down, little beans shouldn't get mad hahahaha..."

Wei Yang's face flushed even redder. Wei WuXian "You seem like an apple ahahaha..."

---------------------
Shijie means Big/Senior Sister