Chapter 11;

Holly's POV

I was sick. That much is certain. The past 3 weeks had been absolutely crazy at work, I was given assignments left, right and centre with deadline dates that were far too close. I was staying at work to complete them, not getting to bed until at least 3am each day, waking at 7 and being sat behind my desk again by 8:30.

It was a vicious circle i'd grown use to, living off coffee and anything sugary.

My mum kept asking about my sisters birthday that's in a few weeks - what I was getting her, what I was wearing to her ridiculous birthday. I didn't want to go at all, but I knew I had to.

Harry and I have said hi and bye and talked when we've had to, but we never discussed what happened at his friends party, how he let all walls down and talked about Natalie.

I hadn't even tried today, my hair was down and flat, zero traces of make-up and I couldn't even tell you what I was wearing - it looked like i'd dressed in the dark.

"Morning Miss McIntyre." Chelsea walked in, not with the same enthusiasm as the other weeks. I still hadn't had time to fire her, with the weeks so busy I've had to have her there to keep everything in order.

"Morning Chelsea, I don't need anything today thanks."

"No I know.. I came to talk to you, actually."

I frown logging into my mac. "Okay, then sit."

She sat down timid, her legs and knees together, her hands in her lap. She always dressed well, that was one good thing, she was in a black and white polka dot blouse and a knee length black pencil skirt with black heels.

"I have something to tell you,"

I nod staring at her, waiting for her to tell me. She moved some hair out of the way obviously intimidated by my gaze on her.

"I'm pregnant."

I didn't know how my face looked, what emotion it was giving off in that split second.

".. Oh,"

"And I'm going to have to leave..here." She added. "To find somewhere that pays more so I can support us both,"

I nod taking it all in, at least you don't have to fire her and look like the bad guy.. My subconscious soothed me.

"Okay well.."

I tuck some hair behind my ear before the heart stopping question rose in my head.

"Whose is it?" I ask.

"It isn't Harry's." She immediately replies. "If that's what you're thinking.. it's someone else's."

"Does he know?"

She nods with a smile.

"Okay, well. Friday can be your last day then."

She grins and stands up. "Thanks for understanding."

I shake my head. "No problem, I guess."

She leaves without another word and I sigh with my head in my hands leaning against the desk.

Can my life get any worse?

"Morning McIntyre."

Apparently it can.

When I asked, it was a rhetorical question.

"What do you want Harry," I ask head still in my hands.

"Woah you okay?"

I raise my head shaking it. "I feel like shit."

"You look it,"

I roll my eyes. "It's fine,"

"No seriously, go home."

I shake my head with a humourless laugh. "I can't, I have too much responsibility. I have heaps to do." I say pointing at the falling pile of files on my desk. "I can't just leave,"

"You can, I can't get someone to cover,"

"No one can do my job,"

"Someone could at least do something c'mon Holly you're really sick."

I raise an eyebrow. "You called me Holly."

He huffs. "Stop being stubborn McIntyre, did you drive?"

I shake my head. "My cars at the garage."

Another stress in my life.

"Okay, I'll drive you home."

"You don't have to-"

"C'mon McIntyre." He ordered walking out of my door.

The drive home was silent only the music of Katy Perry and other pop musicians flowing through the radio.

Arriving home Harry walked me to my door shocking me when he followed me inside.

"You go lay in bed, I'll bring you tea."

"You don't have to Harry-"

"Go," He shooed me away like I was an annoying flock of pigeons you'd see in Trafalgar square.

I was too tired to argue so I stripped down and got into bed my body relaxing the second my head hit the pillow.

Minutes later Harry was up with a tray. "I don't know how you like your tea so I brought up milk and sugar too."

I smiled, Harry was being nothing but sweet, it was nice to see. I was kind of waiting for him to turn back, but I was appreciating this side to him.

We sat again in silence, he was at the end of my bed looking around the foreign room.

"Did you use to take care of Natalie?" I ask quietly. "Whenever she was sick?" I add.

He nods. "She was the worst person when she was sick," He smiles as if remembering. "She'd milk all attention I gave to her, I didn't mind. I liked having someone who counted on me, depended on me, y'know?"

I nod.

"Ever since she left I've never had anyone to care for, I guess." He says quietly.

I saw Harry in such a different light, I realised why he was the way he was, he wasn't this confident arse, he was sweet and caring, perhaps too much but he's now so guarded - afraid that if he lets another person in, they'd be taken away, again.

"It's okay y'know?"

"What?" He frowns.

"To be afraid, to be sad, to let yourself be vulnerable.. it's okay. You have to be sometimes, you can't always have a front."

"I can try."

I shake my head.

"Anyway, got to get back to the office."

"Oh.. yeah." He's not going to stay with you Holly. My subconscious laughs. "Thank you, for everything."

He stands heading for my door. "Don't mention it.. really don't, I don't want people to think I actually like you." He winks leaving my room and I roll my eyes.

Back to square one.