Ch8: Chef Hina to the Scene!

Hina Hikawa always loved experimenting with stuff, but she rarely did so with cooking. Her mother's cooking was a feast, so she didn't even need to cook any additional dishes. And now was a rare opportunity to channel her creativity.

The girl glanced to the right and left. No sign of Kaoru returning.

Grabbing chocolate bars was the first thing on Hina's to-do-list. She broke them into small pieces and threw them into the pot. Next were jelly beans, followed by a bunch of colorful tapioca pearls. Every girl loved their boba, didn't they?

Hina stirred the sweets before moving up to fruits. She squeezed the oranges and separated its seeds. Mango and strawberry cuts joined the party soon after.

Laughter came from the hallway. Hina grinned mischievously. Good thing Kaoru was still occupied with her grandfather, so she could fiddle with the curry for a while longer. But overhearing Kaoru's conversation made Hina miss her grandfathers. It wasn't easy to meet them because one was always traveling around the globe, while the other lived on the other side of the planet. Her grandparents who lived in Japan were Great Grandpa and Great Grandma from Dad's side.

Maybe Hina should give them a call.

But the curry business was more important for now. Hina quickly grabbed a knife and sliced a bunch of spinach. Her eyes then caught the existence of spices, beautifully lined on a rack. Kaoru looked so cool when she poured spices and herbs. Might do it as well!

After fiddling with spices (she also put other stuff along the way), all that was left were marshmallows. Just a step away from the boppin' curry of her dreams.

Alas, Hina had only managed to pour a few marshmallows when she heard footsteps approaching. The girl immediately turned around and hid the marshmallows behind her back.

"I'm so sorry the phone call took so long." Kaoru smiled apologetically. "How's the curry?"

"It's A-OK!" Hina raised a thumb with her free hand. "Don't worry, don't worry~"

Kaoru glanced at the preparation table. "The table is rather empty than I remembered, but I don't smell the aroma of hot chocolate..." She approached Hina and gave her a wink. "You don't happen to eat them, huh, mischievous little kitten?"

Hina avoided eye contact and laughed sheepishly. "Welp, I did eat some..."

Kaoru let out a laugh. "The curry should've been thick enough now—huh, what's this?" She looked at the contents of the pot judgingly. "...Hina, why are there spinach, marshmallows, and jelly beans floating on the curry sauce?"

"Hmm, I wonder about that~" Hina waved her hand and accidentally showed the marshmallow pack she hid. "Oops..."

Kaoru caught the pack. Their hands touched and Hina could feel the softness and warmth of the taller girl's. She never realized it, but Kaoru had long slender fingers like models for hand cream products as well. Furthermore, her face and body... Hina couldn't help but wonder, how come a normal high schooler had such a flawless physique.

"...My, what am I going to do with you?"

Kaoru wore a teasing smile and fixated her eyes to Hina. She touched the smaller girl's chin.

Oh, Hina got it. Kaoru must be an alien from Mars. Or an android with a super sophisticated artificial intelligence.

"Guess I must expect some sort of punishment for adding stuff without your permission?"

But Hina must search for evidence to support her theory.

"You sure are a daring one." Kaoru chuckled. "A punishment is in session, then."