Ch2: Clash of Personalities

"It's boppidy packed!!"

Hina Hikawa scoured her new classroom with ultra energy. Together with Lisa Imai, her new classmate she encountered at the announcement board, they were touring the room to greet their classmates.

"Hi there, Hikawa-san!"

"Nice to meetcha, Hina!"

"Let's be friends, Hikawa-san!"

To Hina's surprise, her new classmates already knew her, even before she had a chance to introduce herself. She had difficulty recalling their names in return, though. More importantly, have they even met before? Hina might possess a great memory, yet she tended to forget about people who she didn't meet on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Lisa appeared to be well-known among 2-A students too, as she blended naturally in the other girls' chats.

2-A was a typical Haneoka classroom that had 35 desks, separated into five rows. About two-thirds of the seats were already occupied. Hina and Lisa took the desks beside the window. Hina seated at the fifth one, Lisa behind her, while the last one apparently had been occupied by someone else (only a blazer was seen on its chair).

"Hey, Lisa-chi," said Hina as she rested her hands on Lisa's desk. "It's strange..."

Lisa put her school bag on the desk and asked, "What's wrong?"

"You and the others know each other from clubs and such, right?" asked Hina, which Lisa responded with a nod. "Welp, truth is, I'm confused when they called my name. Feels like I didn't know them before, so it feels strange..." She ended her sentence with a sigh. "Am I forgetting them, somehow?"

"That might be the case, but..." said Lisa, touching her own chin, eyes gazing upwards. "Umm..."

Hina did some thinking as well. Usually when she forgot her acquaintances' name, at least she remembered his or her face.

Lisa made eye contact with Hina again. "Or maybe it's because you're famous at the school! I mean, you're the top student in exams and last year you were the one gave the speech representing the first years," she explained. "To tell you the truth; I had known you already, even before we met today."

"Eeeh, is that so?" Hina wondered. So she was kinda famous. Who would've thought?

"Positive! No need to worry, Hika—"

"Bhooo!" Hina pouted. "Just Hina will do, Lisa-chi!"

"Okay, okay, Hina... Sorry, I thought you're the type to mind being called on the first-name basis by, you know, a friend you've just met? Ahaha," said Lisa, who seemed flustered for some reason.

"Really? I find it distant to call my friends with last names, be it new or old ones."

This talk made Hina think about her sister, Sayo. Her older twin was the opposite of her in this matter. Sayo rarely-or never?-addressed people outside of their families with first names.

"Hina-chan...!!"

That voice and hug broke Hina's thought. She turned her gaze and saw a petite girl. "Where've you been, Chie-chan?"

"Hey, Lisa-chan! Classmates at last!" Chieko Nakahara greeted Lisa too, then turned to Hina again. "The track club had this morning meeting, you know..."

"On the first day of school? Zappin'~!"

On the contrary, Lisa was startled. "You girls are really pumped up, huh..."

Chieko shook her head. "Nah, we're not doing any practice. Just discussing plans to recruit new members," she explained. "By the way, who's your pick for class rep?"