Ch6: Visiting the Fallen Princess

It was Wednesday, two days before the theater club's first performance in this brand new school year. Its leading actress had recovered from her cold. Yet, as if the Gods were asking for a sacrificial lamb, another had fallen in return.

Yes, in this fine morning it was Lisa who had to be absent. Yesterday it was the class representative (though alcoholic beverage was the one at fault here), then followed by Kaoru herself who had to go home early due to the cold. For the class of 2-A to go on with an incomplete cast, two days in a row...

What a tragedy it was.

Kaoru rested her chin on her left hand and gazed at the courtyard. Being seated beside the window gave her ease to observe the activities down there. The open area was quite lively with dozens of girls in their school uniforms as well as jerseys. They belonged to various clubs―both cultural and sports―in their effort of recruiting new members, especially first-years.

She spotted a certain teal-haired girl arriving at the school gate. As the second-year student walked through the courtyard, she was approached by various school club members. They intended to recruit her, Kaoru guessed, yet the girl gave them an apologetic gesture, then went inside the school building. It was a mystery why Hina Hikawa chose to remain at the astronomy club instead of joining a more lively one.

Speaking of the devil, Hina entered the classroom a few minutes later. The top student walked to her desk and greeted all of her classmates along the way. She put her bag, two desks in front of Kaoru's, and gleefully exclaimed, "Morning, Kaoru-kun!"

Kaoru smiled and replied to Hina's greeting.

The seat between Kaoru and Hina was unoccupied. She chose the rear seat beside the window because she wanted some privacy, away from her fans. But when the seat before her was empty, she felt kind of blue now.

"That seems lonely," Hina commented while she put out her phone and snack from the school bag. "Guess I should sit at Lisa-chi's desk today~"

"M-my, do I seem that sorrowful?"

Hina shook her head. "Not really. Just a hunch!"

Kaoru let out a sigh. "Lisa doesn't have to undergo this pain if only I didn't fall ill that day..."

Hina giggled. "You make it seem like she's contracted an incurable disease."

"Are you feeling well, Hina?" asked Kaoru. She averted her gaze and continued her sentence in a lower voice, almost like a whisper. "It would be even more tragic if you were infected too..."

"I feel boppin' as usual! No worries, no worries!" Hina offered a snack to Kaoru. It was a box of Chocobi with its pinky crocodile mascot and Crayon Shin-chan printed on it. "Want some?"

"Thanks." Kaoru took some star-shaped biscuits from its hexagonal box. "Mm, people say geniuses don't catch colds..."

"I thought it's supposed to be the fools?"

Kaoru gasped. "W-well. In other words..." the crimson-eyed girl said in an effort to regain her composure. "That's how it is."

Hina giggled. "You're an interesting person, Kaoru-kun!" The girl then munched at her snack.

»↠ ≈☆≈ ↞«

Kaoru matched the pinpoint on her map application and with a house before her. It was a two-story building with minimalistic architecture, painted in the color of lavender.

"This fleeting-looking residence must be Lisa's abode."

Hina who walked a few steps ahead spotted a nameplate that belonged to the said house. "Bzzzt...!" She imitated the sound of a buzzer. "It's Yukina-chan's."