Ch7: Best Errand Girl (Self-Proclaimed)

Hina hummed the melody of "Shuwarin☆Drea~min", the first single of her band, as she was walking through the school's hallway. The girl carried a guitar gig bag on her back. She was going to attend a music lesson for her band in a few hours; a new routine that she had gone through for a week.

Along the way, Hina exchanged greetings to fellow students of Haneoka Girls' High School; both friends and people that she didn't know. The latter made her confused in the past, but she had gotten used to it now. Being known by strangers might be the effect of her status as a top student. Not that she was bothered; they were interestingly random sometimes. During last winter's university exam season, an upperclassman asked her to shake hands in the hope to receive some of Hina's intelligence.

Hina could hear a familiar voice coming from the faculty room.

"Oh, little kitten in distress! Allow yours truly to represent you in the venture to the fallen princess' castle!"

That deep voice and manner of speaking only belonged to one person. It came from the faculty room. Whatever Kaoru Seta was doing there? Did she gets caught in another trouble?

Hina peeked inside. The room was full of teachers who were either relaxing around after long lectures, surrounded by students who asked for elaborate explanations for today's covered subject, or chit-chatting around between faculty members. She could spot Kaoru easily due to her height. The school prince along with the class representative stood before their homeroom teacher's desk. Hina was curious about this princess in a castle affair, but before she could take a step inside, Kaoru had finished talking and walked away.

"Fancy meeting you, little kitten." Kaoru smiled and waved her hand. "Are you, perhaps, enchanted at my humble self this whole time?"

"I just got here for like five seconds, you know~"

"Is that so?" Kaoru touched her chin and chuckled. "The flow of time works in a rather mysterious way, isn't it?"

"What's the fallen princess' castle you were talking about, anyway?"

"Oh, we were conversing about a visit to Lisa's house. The poor princess..." Kaoru replied. She glanced at the homeroom teacher and class representative who were still talking about something. "Reina was supposed to set off for the castle. But, alas, her good intention must be thwarted by the Milky Way."

"I don't understand what you mean by the Milky Way, but whatevs~" Hina grinned. "In other words, you volunteered to go because Reina-chan couldn't."

"Why, of course."

Kaoru showed a bundle of paper that contained easy peasy algebra. Hina recalled that their class studied this formula today and they would have a quiz tomorrow. Studying was a serious business in Haneoka, so skipping school even for just a day would be disadvantageous for some people. The case couldn't be applied to Hina, though.

"Hey, can I tag along?"

Hina didn't have anything to do before band practice, anyway.

»↠ ≈☆≈ ↞«

About an hour later Hina found herself in a relatively busy shopping street. Dozens of shops lined up within the span of the half-a-kilometer street. It only took a few minutes to walk from the residential areas. The shopkeepers greeted everyone who passed by their shops, inviting them to see their goods. Housewives were loitering here and there to shop for dinner.

Speaking of it, what should Hina buy? She never cared for an ill person. Her family was healthy all year round, after all. She should ask Kaoru then, as the one who would do the cooking. But the chef later replied to her chat with a super vague line: "The best ingredient to cure sickness is fleetingly undying love."