Chapter Twenty-Seven

I waited in Rima's office. Ezra and Thomas both appeared. From the looks of it they had been dead asleep. Ezra was barely awake.

"What is going on?" Thomas sat down next to me. "Rima almost dragged me out of bed."

"Duke of Wentker is on campus" I answered. "I saw him with Charles"

"What, they aren't allowed on campus especially not at this hour. Why would Charles be here? We've met him once right?"

"Yeah" I remembered. We had seen him once during the Winter Ball dinner. Michael was also in his legion. "They said they were meeting someone here" I lowered my voice. I told them everything I had overhead. I was glad they weren't asking questions. They were just as confused as I was.

"Why would the Duke of Wentker be here? This late" Ezra replied thoughtfully. He took a seat in Rima's chair. He leaned back putting his feet up on her desk.

"When he knows he isn't allowed on campus" Thomas added. "That's the Queens brother isn't it"

"Yeah it is" Ezra's eyebrows furrowed downward. "Do you think they were here to find out about us ?"

"Maybe- it is strange that they were here in the middle of the night. Why were they here?" Ezra wondered. "I need to get near them to find out" he muttered.

The door opened and Byron strolled in.

"Did you find anything?" I got to my feet quickly. His face was red from the cold.

"Nothing, we saw multiple footsteps." Byron responded. He went to stand by the fire taking off his gloves. I noticed he was wearing pajama pants which was good. He had time to change.

Nobody would know we had been together.

"Nothing" Rima shouted. The door was slammed open. Rima's face was red but I was sure she hadn't been outside. "I want Ronald here tonight" She shouted at someone standing outside. "I want his Guard on campus immediately" she looked angry. "Search the damn castle now" she turned to us taking a deep breath.

"Somebody knows you are here" Rima's voice was grave. "We can not risk it. We saw footsteps to the back door of the castle. They didn't make it inside. I think they caught a glimpse of you Iris."

She looked upset at the idea.

She turned to Byron.

"Let me know when Ronald gets here. I want the damn castle searched from the top-down to every dungeon, basement...hole in this place. I am not having my Guardians exposed"

"Yes" Byron hurried away.

"Do you really think they were trying to find out who we were?" Ezra asked. Rima gave him a look. Ezra hastily got up.

"From now on, you will not mention the word Guardian. You will only refer yourself as Guard members. I will schedule my meetings with you in advance. I will not speak to you unless necessary. So help me I'm protecting your identities." Rima met my eyes briefly. My grandmother walked in.

"How is the search going" my grandmother asked her. There was a hard look on her face.

"We have found nothing. Ronald's Guard is on the way" Rima replied. She took a deep breath. she looked exhausted.

"Where is Allison?" my grandmother asked.

"She left after dinner to see her family. I have sent her a note" Rima nodded. "I have this under control Andrea" Rima was trying to reassure her which was odd to me. "Dr. Nan and Langston are looking- they will be here shortly."