Chapter 23: The Fight, The Victory, and The Fall

Chapter 23 - The Fight, The Victory, and The Fall

Out of the forest we went, onto the vast green fields, and we headed to Saniera's castle. I could see her guards, knights, actually, her whole army, situated in the eastern front of the castle, but I didn't see Saniera herself or any of her children, not even Oliver, who would usually lead her men.

The horses dashed faster, and the knights behind me took over as I slowed Chap down and gave way to the passing knights. It was part of our plan, so that the knights may fight off Saniera's men without me having to do so. That way, I could easily enter the castle without fighting anyone from the outside and focus on getting inside the castle to find Saniera.

"Go ahead! Head straight to the Queen and finish her off! Hurry!" Alex shrieked out to me, as he lifted his own sword to fight off incoming attacks from the knights around him.

Alandro and Lisle were engulfed in a crowd full of men with clashing swords and the sound and smell of death.

I struggled to keep all the alien sounds of blood splattering and flesh tearing out of my head as I steered Chap into the entrance of the castle. Unluckily, he lost his balance on the top steep steps of the stairs as we careened and I fell off him, and landed with my stiff armor.

Chap neighed continuously in pain, as if his leg had swelled up. I limped over to him with my armor making clamorous noises.

"Shh, Chap, it's going to be fine! I'm sorry, I'll have to leave you here for now... I need to continue this fight!" I stroked his black mane and chocolate-colored flank.

He seemed to have calmed down a bit, until he whined like he was in danger.

"Chap! Chap! What's the matter, boy?" I touched his warm muzzle. His eyes were drenched in terror, and his tail flicked non-stop in irritation. As I looked into his eyes, trying to understand him, I saw a faint reflection of someone creeping up behind me.

My eyes widened in trepidation and I turned around as I quickly shielded in time when one of Saniera's knights was about to attack me with his sword. I brought the shield up to my chest area and attempted to put him off. Chap escaped unharmed from the scene with his distended leg, leaving me alone in the big room with the knight. The man was still aiming to attack me from all perspectives on my right side, when I decided to lunge my sword into his unshielded torso.

The blade of the sword smoothly went in, and he crumpled immediately onto the ground, gasping for air and clutched the open fresh wound that I had just given him. I drew my sword from him in alarm. Tears welled up in my eyes as I had just noticed, I had physically hurt a person. Seconds after, he lost his breath, and his life.

In panic, I left and raced up the next flight of stairs, in fear of being found out by anyone. I hid in the thick curtains in the hallway, breathing heavily in shock. I swore to myself when I was younger that I would never ever harm anyone. But I just did. Was it wrong? I don't know... I was just plainly protecting myself... I didn't mean to kill him; just a scar or two would be enough.

I shook my head and wiped the blood off my sword with the curtains, and I bounded off to the hallway leading to the bedrooms.

"Saniera! Come out! We need to settle a score!" My voice echoed through the empty rooms as I opened the doors of the rooms one by one."Oliver! Quit hiding from me! I will eventually find you and your mother!"

I searched aimlessly for them with my eyes darting back and forth around the hallway, when suddenly, someone skillfully sat astride on my back. The rider's heavy weight weighed me down, and caused me to fall flat on my face. I dropped my shield, as my captor held me tight, too tight, that I was unable to move. Then my captor placed a knife next to my throat.