Chapter 20: Escape and Safe

Chapter 20 - Escape and Safe

So Alex and I decided to write our strategy on a corner pillar, the furthest place we could find from the guards. We found a big old rusty nail, and started to scratch the plan on the pillar.

We also began to chip off little pieces from the wall of stone bricks, until it was soft enough to be broken.

After cracking tiny parts of the wall, we dug the soil and sand beneath with our bare hands. It was tough work, but we never gave up. Day and night, each of us worked on making the hole deeper and bigger. The hole led to the way of a rural drainage system, and I was sure that we could escape by that way.

The time came when the hole was big enough to fit one person at a time.

"So... who shall go first?" Asked Alex, poking his head into the hole, which was more like a tunnel now.

"Uh... Maybe you? Maybe you should lead the way. You're braver," I muttered uneasily, avoiding the sighing stare he gave me.

"Fine, then. But are you sure this way leads to the drainage hole in the country village? How do you know?" He wondered out loud.

"I just know it, alright? I have my instincts, so follow yours too," I noted, giving him a push into the tunnel.

Gaela and the rest first bid us farewell, and they promised to cover the hole up right after we entered the hole.

We could already see them piling dirt and sand in the entrance of the hole, swiftly finishing the job before any guard caught the suspicious situation.

Further we went into the dark place, following what our instincts were telling us.

When we arrived at the drainage, we were stopped by a two-way passage, and that's where our thoughts were muddled up. Alex looked from right to left, his eyebrows knitting up as he figured out which way to pick.

"Now what? I don't know, since my instincts ran away in confusion. What do your instincts say?" Alex tensely quipped, waiting for an 'I don't know either' reply from me.

I observed him so, and I cautioned myself to not act jittery. "Well... I say... let's go right..." I hoped he didn't hear that little questioning tone at the end of my sentence.

I led the way this time, on to the right passage. Alex reluctantly followed, shrugging and his face turning into an emotion that seemed to say, ' Whatever you say, Princess.'

A few minutes ticked by, and luckily for us, a faint light was seen at the end of the tunnel.

I gasped, "Over there! I told you I was-"

"We're almost out! You were right after all, Charlotte! Your instincts didn't let us down," Alex cried, cutting me off. He excitedly crawled faster. "I can't wait to see the light of day again!"

I let out a silent laugh from my lips as I crawled quicker.

I found out that we were in one of the public sewers that led straight out into a village. The sewer didn't have any water in it, although it was rather slushy and rusty in some parts. Who knows, there might even fungi growing. How nice for a Princess to enter such a place!

I climbed out of the drain, and helped Alex out, when we heard a group of horse riders rushing by. We hurriedly hid behind walls, trying to avoid anyone who might notice us, especially the horse riders, whom we realized were Saniera's knights. Actually, there weren't much people around. But to be on the safe side, we hid until the coast was clear.