Chapter 11: Deeper and Deeper

Chapter 11 - Deeper and Deeper

I was taken aback in surprise, happiness, and more surprise. Did I just hear those words that came out of Alex’s own mouth? Did Alex really mean it, or was it only a joke?

“You? But… but it doesn’t make any sense…” I said, feeling appalled.

It's impossible that Alex is Prince Alexander. But at the same time, it was indeed possible. All we needed was to look further, deeper into the depths of truth and fact.

Alandro was thinking deeply to himself as well. Until I saw a glint in his eye, and it seemed to sparkle bright even in the dimly lit room.

“Yes, it does… I see the connection!” Alandro jumped up. “You got lost, and you said you’re adopted…” he said to Alex, whose eyebrows were still furiously knitted together.

Alandro continued, “And I have a lost brother. Don’t you see? We look alike, and do almost everything in the identical way. You got the same name as my brother. What more evidence do we need to convince ourselves that you are my lost brother?”

“But I can’t recollect anything about my past,” Alex slightly began to shake his head. "I don't know..."

Remembering the flag incident the day before, I sprang up to my feet beside Alandro.

“Alex, do you remember, when we first got to this country, you told me that you found their flag familiar? The white one with the blue rose and brown thorns?” I said in excitement.

Finally we were on the track to finding Alex’s true identity and unlocking this secret about him and Verona!

Alex said, “Yes… but what does that have to do with my past?”

I took the paintings and showed it to him and Alandro. Almost in every picture, the young lad held a white material, embroidered with a blue rose and brown thorns.

Both the boys gasped, with Alex exhaling louder.

“It is you! Alexander, you’re my brother!” Alandro dragged Alex nearer to him for a hug.

His eyes flashed joy, confusion, and more thinking, as he assumed, “Then that makes me a prince…”

This time, it was my turn to hop around in joy. “Alex! You are a prince… so that means… we will turn out right and well after all!"

Alandro understood where this was going and he stopped me.

“Hold on, Charlotte. You’re a commoner, and he’s a prince. And I’m sure you know that our family wants the best for him…” Alandro put his hand on my shoulder, showing sympathy.

That's when I gave a shaky laugh, waiting for Alex to elaborate.

Alex pushed him aside and stood by me. “No, Alandro. Charlotte is a princess.”

And Alandro was the one who was bewildered this time. “What?” He responded. “This is crazy… the day’s getting better and better! He’s a prince… and you’re a princess… from where, may I know?”

“I’m from Hugehston. Princess Charlotte Tintonian,” I told him with pride, beaming at him.

I admit, this was one of the first times I remember so far, that I'm extremely proud of my country.

Alandro gawked at me in astonishment as he slowly took the information in his swirling head. “And what are you doing here, in Verona? Don’t you know that our countries are enemies? I hope you’re not a spy for your father,” he sneered as he folded his arms.