Chapter 22: Hidden and Ready

Chapter 22 - Hidden and Ready

Days have passed and I was sure of myself that I was ready to face the queen. My men were ready as well, and we had agreed to camp in the forest of Dunwillow, like the King had suggested.

"Let's go, troops!" Lisle ordered his men as they mounted their horses.

"We'll meet you there at Dunwillow," Alex shouted out to Lisle.

"Very well. We'll make the way for you then," Lisle replied, laughing.

They sped off on their steeds, leaving a cloud of dust behind.

"Are you feeling queasy, Princess? It's quite strange to you isn't it? Going on your first battle and all," Alandro said, as he tied a few bags of necessities onto his saddle.

"Very much queasy, in fact, Alandro. I don't know how I'll fare in this real life battle," I sighed, looking up to the pinkish purple colored sky.

"Oh, you can do it. We all know it. We all believe you can do this," said an encouraging Alex.

"As if you're the one who's to fight the Queen. You're making it sound all too easy. You actually think it's easy to fight her alone, just because she's a woman," I glared, scowling at Alandro.

Alandro bit his lip apologetically and shook my arm. "I'm sorry I said that... I know it's not an easy task. I admit, fighting her men won't be an easy thing to do as well. But we have other men to back us up, so i guess..." his voice trailed off wearily.

My eyes widened in rising fear as I realized this. "Let's not talk about this, about who can fight better or whatever. Why don't we just, leave now? Isn't that a better idea, Alandro?" I stared back at him, and he forced a weak smile at me.

"Yes, Princess, we should leave now, for it's getting dark," he agreed as he walked over to his horse.

"All ready to go, I see?" King Darien asked, as he, Queen Saraphina, Alyssa, and Brianna stepped out.

"We are ready, Father. But Charlotte's feeling rather jittery tonight," Alex put out my feeling to them all.

King Darien slightly glared at him, and he came over to me and put an arm around my shoulder. "My dear girl, don't be frightened, for your people will be waiting for you to save them. You are their hero, and heroes are meant to be with fear, for that's what makes them stronger. If you have fear, and you know how to control it, you are a true hero. Just keep a head on about now. Don't think about the past or future; only now, the present."

"Thank you, King Darien. I will do as you say. I thank you and Queen Saraphina because you are always there for me, giving me advice and caring for me like real parents," I gave the wise man and his wife a hug.

"Be careful, loves. Don't be too rough. But be brave," Queen Saraphina exclaimed, as she went over to her sons and kissed them goodbye.

"Good luck, cousins, and Charlotte. We'll be anticipating for your glorious return," shouted Alyssa and Brianna.

We left the castle as night fell upon us and we rode on for hours to the Hugehston boundaries, on the way to Dunwillow, searching for a signal from Lisle's knights.

It seemed to take forever to find one, with all the darkness engulfing the place.

Finally, we spotted one. A glowing lamp that came from the bushes. We were sure it was the knights, for we heard familiar voices.

"Princess! Prince Alandro and Prince Alex! We are here, come forth!" The voices whispered hastily from a meter or so.

We unloaded from our horses and tiptoed into the dark forest, following the source of the men's voices.

We reached them and they said, "Sir Lisle is deep in the forest with the others. He says we are to camp there in that part of the forest for the night. Queen Saniera's knights won't find us easily. King Darien was right; the trees here are thick as a human's hair!"

They led us into the dense woods, and there were the other men. Lisle sat with some men discussing some strategies, and others were either polishing their armor or sharpening their weapons, or practicing their moves. Tiny lamps were everywhere, giving a soft glow that was enough for us to see the atmosphere.

"We didn't use a campfire, for we feared that Saniera's men might spot the smoke and follow its source. Nor did we use any candles or such, for it might have burned the whole place up. Lamps are our best bet," Lisle told us, pointing to a nearby lamp. "Plus, because of the forest's density, it blocks out the light, and that doesn't give away our hiding."

"That's smart of you to think up of the idea, Lisle!" Alandro nodded his head.

"Where are all your horses, anyway?" Alex queried as he looked behind bushes.

"In the back of those trees, over there to your left," Lisle pointed to the direction.

Alex grabbed the reigns of our horses and went behind the trees to keep them with the other horses.

Some time later, we had a light supper of bread and some fruits. Soon we were done and immediately dozed off. We had a big job to do the next day, and we needed as much rest as we could have.

____________________________________

We rose with the sun; its beams warming our skin.

"Have you got everything?"

"Don't forget the sack!"

"Where's Sir Lisle?"

"Are the horses all ready?"

"Please get Prince Alex here!"

Sentences like these popped up almost every minute, with a person yelling out to reply. Alex was bustling busy, and so was Lisle....

I went over to Alex to ask him something. "Uh, Alex? How was your, um, sleep?"

He shook his head as he stopped with what he was doing and looked at me. "I didn't get the right amount of rest. I was up all night, thinking about what's to come for everyone," he replied, putting on his heavy helmet. "Are you ready?"

"Yes... I guess I am. Although I have a lot to get used to. This is a huge chunk of metal on me!" I laughed, pointing to the metal mail on my chest.

"It'll protect you," he said. "When I'm not there to do so. So will this sword, and your shield. Don't forget that you carry a shield. This is essential for blocking incoming attacks."

"And... oh but, what if the mail fails to do its purpose?" I innocently asked.

"Well... I hope that I'll be there whenever you need me. If I am not there... pray that God will defend you. Don't worry. We'll be fine. We'll take the Queen and her reign down!" He waved his sword in the air.

"You're right," I said, putting a luminous smile on my face.

After a few moments of silence, I climbed onto Chap and went to the front of the knights, with Alex, Alandro, and Lisle beside me. The men were behind us in their group formation.

"Knights! Are we all ready to help retrieve Princess Charlotte's Kingdom from the grasps of Saniera? Are we all ready to fight for them? Are we all ready to free their country?" Alex bellowed with all his might.

"Yes!" They all thundered in unison.

My eyes glistened with tears. These men, who weren't even citizens of my country, genuinely cared for Hugehston and its people. They knew they needed to help out. I was thankful for they were willing to help fight for my country's freedom. They were willing to risk their lives.

"Then let us attack and aid Charlotte to take what's rightfully hers and her people's! For Hugehston and Verona's friendship! For the late King Henrick! For the freedom of their country! Charge!" Alandro spoke out as Lisle signalled the trumpet to blare, then all the horses started galloping out of our hiding.

why am i so fond of putting charlotte in precarious situations.

???vote or comment???