Chapter 18: Captured

Chapter 18 - Captured

Before I knew it, the sun was rising, with its beams warming my face, waking me up.

I sluggishly sat up, finding myself sitting on a enormous springgy bed in a huge bedroom.

I don't recall getting into this place, I thought.

Alex was beside me, facing the other side and snoring away.

I crawled to get nearer and lay beside him. He was still sound asleep like a log, even when I embraced him.

Oh, that's right, we were married yesterday. I wonder, how could I have forgotten that? We must be here in the countryside already. Weird, I don't think I even got up to walk up the stairs of this house.

I left the room afterwards and went down to the dining hall, where servants were bustling, making breakfast. The smell of eggs and sausages, freshly baked bread, and fruits drifted through the woody-grape-ish country smell. Beside the mansion was a sightly vineyard, filled with grapes and shacks of old wine.

"Good morning, Princess!" The servants greeted, stopping whatever they were doing to bow.

"Good morning to you as well," I nodded.

Then they giggled, covering their mouths. "You might want to change from that gown you're wearing. It's a bit too lavish for breakfast, don't you think so?"

They pointed to me as I looked down at what I was wearing.

They were right- I was still in my gown since last night!

I gave an embarrassed smile and reddened as I rushed upstairs to open my baggages.

Soon, I found a peach-colored dress and fit myself into it.

By then, Alex awoke, rubbing his eyes as he let out a yawn.

I went up to him and asked, "Why didn't you wake me up when we got here?"

"Uh.. I couldn't do it. You were so peacefully asleep; you looked like an adorable kitten who just couldn't be awakened," he gurgled.

"And explain, why was I still in my gown?"

"Because you didn't change....?"

"You really should've woken me up. It was an embarrassment when the servants saw that I was wearing the same dress!" I drawled as I folded my arms.

"Oh... sorry... I never really bothered. It was too tedious... even if I had wanted to change you out of that dress. Anyway, you looked great in that 'sleeping gown'!" He went on.

I shot him an irritated look and told him, "I'm changed now, and you should get into your day clothes as well. Breakfast is being served."

"I'll speed up," he said as he grabbed his clothes and entered the bathroom to change.

When he was finished, we sauntered into the dining, and all the servants smiled, whispering among themselves.

We ate our breakfast, then we decided to ride our horses around a nearby field. We enjoyed the little strolls on the west coast woodlands, trekking the monumental hill of Verona, picking fruits in fruit farms, visiting the rural villagers... Even though it doesn't sound like an exact honeymoon, it still felt good to have a tiny breather like that.

We met a lot people in the rural areas, and they all congratulated us for our marriage and thanked us for visiting them.

The five days were soon eaten up by time, and we were on our way back to my country, with my mother's house being our first stop in Hugehston.