Chapter 3: Adjustment, Arianda, and Alexander

Chapter 3 - Adjustment, Arianda, and Alexander

I pondered over all the things my mother said to me, and the time went by speedily. The trip back home always seemed shorter than the trip going to a certain place. We reached home and it was not even dusk yet.

The head butler, Humfrey, walked up to me and jabbered, “Princess Charlotte! Oh there you are! I have been looking all over for you! I really needed your presence! I couldn’t find you, and I even asked the cook if she knew where you might have been! I thought you were at the-“

“Humfrey, just tell me the message you have for me.” I said impatiently.

“Oh, alrighty then. The King has summoned for you minutes ago. He is at the Courtyard.”

“Thanks, Humfrey. Next time, please be straightforward about your messages!”

“Why, of course, I will mighty be more of what you said! I think they’re discussing about you…” Humfrey quietly muttered, but with the silence of the hall, I heard his words crystal clear.

“What was that? Who is discussing about me?” I asked raising my eyebrows, all-too-innocently.

“Um… nothing, nothing! Well, goodbye now, Princess,” He briskly shuffled his feet away in order to avoid more questions.

I exhaled a long breath. What is he up to, and what is he talking about? I suppose I have to see for myself.

I went straight into the Courtyard where my father was, and there were visitors with him.

Oh! Is this what Humfrey was talking about? Sheesh.

It was Duke Meander Holston and Duchess Fayeten of Rivervale. They were like second parents to me, since my parents are great friends with them. I even grew up with their son, Tristan.

But for now, I had to eavesdrop on why they were there…

“I assume you know that there are no kingdoms around which I have peace with,” King Henrick told the Duke and Duchess in a matter-of-factly way.  

Duke Meander replied hoarsely, “Of course, your Highness, that is why we shall agree to your previous statements on Princess Charlotte’s future and her future husband. Your idea of their marriage is splendid.”

I could not believe what I heard. Did they just discuss about my future as Queen and my life? Were they going to get a suitor for me? Even at this early point of my life, of which I am just thirteen years old, they were already talking about who I am to marry! I shook my head in doubt. They cannot have the right, no matter their position, to decide on my future. My future! It is my future, not theirs!

I heard a few more whispers and murmurs they muttered under their low breaths.

The King said with his eyes darting sideways, “Your son… Tristan Williamel… in six years… he and Princess Charlotte…”

 “Yes, your Majesty… We shall do as you told us to… He is a good boy, fair enough to be called a prince…”

“Is he not princely enough to be a prince? He is, after all, from a line of dukes, and let us not forget, that you, Meander, so that includes your son, are distantly related to the royal family of Rustaun,” the King said, pouring himself a cup of lavender tea.

“Yes, your Highness. Yes... no doubt… according to your will. Thank you, my lord, we shall talk about this some other time. We will take our leave now,” Duke Meander got up, and helped Duchess Fayeten from her chair.