Chapter 6: Breaking a Promise

Chapter 6 - Breaking A Promise

The incident made me recollect the time when I first met Alexander back in the Orchards, and he told me that he hopes ‘I judge fairly’ in the house of my lord, that is, my father’s kingdom. No doubt that I am a woman of my word, and I must do the right thing.

Not one day has passed when I do not pray for Alexander’s release, and the king’s considering of my will.

Now that I am not allowed to leave my room, I do not give Arianda her lessons anymore, under the queen’s commands. Father left Gopere to deal with her instead. I felt like a person with a raging disease, and that everyone avoided me. Indeed, was I very forsaken in flesh and soul.

Almost a month had passed since Alexander was put in prison. I was looking out from my balcony, savoring every atom of freedom that the blowing winds gave me every time they touched my face. Unaware because I was hypnotized by the calming sensation, the King entered my room, and he came up to me as he put his hand on my shoulder.

But before he could say a word, I went down to my knees and started my daily pleading.

“My father,” I wailed, “Please, I implore with every strand of fiber within me, you need to release my friend! He needs to return to his devastated family! I know they want to see him alive and well again! I know how they feel, because I know how my own mother desires to see me the same way! My mother gets her wish to see me, but Alexander’s family does not have the privilege to do so! Please, my lord, please, release him! I, as a princess, must remain faithful to my duty of serving my people justly, in this case Alexander’s family. I remember Alex telling me, that he hopes I treat fairly in your house. Oh my dear father, let him go, and I will do anything you wish, even if it is to not see Alexander again!”

I stopped rambling on, and broke down into bitter sobs. Tears of sadness overflowed from my eyes and streamed down my red face.

My father, who was still thinking about it with a crinkled forehead, at last pronounced, “Alright. I shall release your friend. But we have a bargain, like you proposed, and you shall pay the price.”

I faced him with my dripping face and said, “Anything! I would do anything you ask me to do! As long as you keep your promise that you will set him free.”

He looked at me, and I could feel his stare saying, So, she really would do everything for this Alexander?

Then he stated the price, “Marry Tristan, the Duke and Duchess’s son, for his parents are getting old of age, and he needs to get married as soon as possible. He is twenty-two years of age, and it’s time for him to get a wife. I agree to this as well, since there is no other kingdom who has a prince, and who is my alliance.”

I stood numb as my tears dried up. I, Princess Charlotte, am to marry Tristan? Is he referring to the Tristan whom I hate with all my strength? Is my father feeling well today, or has he gone nuts, having a mental breakdown?

“So? Tell me if you will pay the price, Charlotte. I have to have an answer today,” my father grumbled intolerantly.

I needed to think this over, but there was no time. This was my only opportunity to help release Alex. I would indeed do anything for him. I would go as far as to climb the highest mountain, or sacrifice my happiness for him.

I finally decided. “Fine. Deal. I shall marry Tristan, for the exchange of Alex’s freedom. Now free him!”

The King looked at me impressed, then called for his guards to let Alex go.