Chapter 31. Orbiting Gnumus

Bryalnus: Ferionus

"Admiral, answer me!" Byralnus said with slight hostility.

The Circuit buzzed and hissed with static.

They had left the Circuit in its Rhaa tech suit so as not to remove him from the swirling energy lifeline that kept it alive. The Circuit's arms had been strapped together Inside the suit and the larger arms of the suit were bound to the legs, which were also bound together.

Regardless of these bonds, Byralnus and Jirabi had noticed that the Circuit seemed incapable of moving its body or the suit enough to escape from their custody. Byralnus and Jirabi realized that the bonds were probably a little excessive, but Byralnus didn't want to take any chances.

Byralnus and Jirabi stood over the robotic being as it sat to the wall. They had chosen one of the smaller rooms of the ship to stow and interrogate the Circuit, one that was now empty save for a pair of chairs and the three of them.

"Admiral!" Repeated Byralnus, this time with a bit more hostility. "Are you responsible for killing and mutilating thousands of your own species??"

The Circuit hissed again, this time shaking and rocking in its bounds violently.

"Captain, I've found that he responds better to 'Short'." Advised Jirabi.

The Circuit rocked still and slowly turned to face Jirabi.

"Yes." It said hauntingly. "I do like that name."

"Okay... Short." Continued Byralnus. "Why did you kill your fellow beings?"

The Circuit buzzed quietly, sounding with an occasional pop of electricity.

"We know that you can speak Ruolten, why won't you just speak to us?"

The Circuit went silent.

They had been going at this for over an hour, with little progress. The Circuit randomly responded to their questions with loud static and electrical noises that denoted malfunctioning. They had gained almost nothing.

"I want to try something, Captain." Jirabi stepped forward. Byralnus motioned for Jirabi to go ahead and stepped out of the way.

"Short."

The Circuit turned again to look at the purple Kelpar. "Ah. The bigg'un speaks this time." Said the Circuit slyly.

Jirabi ignored him. "What color are the dunes on Gnumus?"

Short looked at him for a moment, then hissed slowly. "My visual zzzzzzzzzPssshhh might not process color the same as your shhhhhzzzBLATzzz thozzzzthhh it was sssss bleachzzed tan." His voice was filled with electrical static and snaps of clinking metal. "Good question. I always likedffffff the dunes." He added.

Jirabi glanced at Byralnus.

"Interesting." Noted Byralnus, his crystal head tiling to the side. "Short, what type of ship were you in command of as an Admiral?"

"A zzzzzircuit 010 Ammeti Cruizzzzzzsser." He said with a growl.

"What... do you enjoy doing as a pastime?" Asked Jirabi.

The circuit began to hiss and quiver angrily. "Assssszzzchhh much fun as this iszzz, ffffffffffff wasting time." He said aggressively.

Jirabi glanced at Byralnus.

"What is wasting time is your lack of communication abilities." Byralnus said tiredly. "But it seems to me," he continued, turning toward Jirabi, "that his software has been damaged to the point that he is prohibited from major movements or speaking about certain topics."