Chapter 11. Two years ago

(Sorry for publishing late everyone. I'll try to make up for it by publishing twice.)

Two years ago.
Tyler: Human

I sat slowly brushing my hair in the silence of my apartment, listening as the shadowed clock on the wall ticked seconds away.

I was going to find Maty.

I hadn't heard from my sister for about a month now. I had tried all the normal things; calling, leaving messages, and tried to get information from Maty's closer friends.

Nobody knew anything. Maty was nowhere to be found.

The worry that sat in my stomach made me feel nauseated and restless. I knew there had to be something wrong. Maty and I had always been close, and there wasn't a week that went by where we didn't speak with each other at least a dozen times.

If I didn't try to find Maty tonight it would drive me crazy. It was time for me to find out what happened.

I stood up from my seat and carried my hairbrush back to my bedroom. I had a dark feeling that I was going to find something out tonight that I didn't want to know.

But I needed to know.

Grabbing a notepad and pen, I made my way back to my small livingroom space, turning on lights as I went in hopes that the extra light would comfort me.

I pulled a small nightstand closer to my favorite chair and then sat down, settling down uneasily. Placing my two index fingers on the polished surface of the nightstand and then sliding them away from each other smoothly, I opened up a screen.

I pulled my hands back and hesitantly clenched them into fists. I was scared. I couldn't look for Maty alone.

"Call EkirBai." I said to the blank screen sternly.

The screen recognized the command and connected with a line to EkirBai. The Quibeek had been a great friend of mine for a while now, ever since I  started my new job at the CSC.

The screen loaded for a moment, then a image of a large lizard appeared and hovered above the nightstand.

"Tyler?" Muttered the Quibeek groggily. The lizard was wearing a large, comfortable looking piece of clothing that reminded me of a nightgown.

"Hey Bai, I didn't wake you did I?" I asked apologetically.

"Oh no no dear." The Quibeek lied as she tried to suppress a large yawn.

"...Oh curse you Humans." She laughed once she was finished, "Spreading your contagious yawn to every living species in the Pentaverse."

I gave a quick laugh.

"No don't you worry about me, darling. Are you all right? Is everything okay?" said Bai sincerely.

"Yes, I'm fine!" I answered quickly. "Well... kind of. I need your help." I continued with a sigh. "I am determined to find out what happened to Maty tonight... but I'm worried about what I'm going to find."

"Oh!" Started the scaly lizard. "Don't say another word dear, I'm on my way. I'm sure you could use some Quibeek company." Bai stopped for a moment, then looked back at Tyler hesitantly. "That... IS what you want, right?"

I laughed and nodded my head. "I could use some Quibeek company, yes."

"All right then, I'll be there before the Ruolten disappear! See you soon!"

The screen went dark and I sat back with a smile. Bai always knew how to make me feel better, even if it was only by a little bit.

It wasn't long before there was a soft knock on my apartment door, and Bai was invited in. I offered her a drink and food but she just shook her head.