Chapter Seven

It was the last day of her finals. She had managed to make up the one she had missed while sick and her last one was today.

After today, she would have a month's break until her next round of classes would start. She just hoped everything would calm down before then and she could get settled in a new job and apartment that didn't cause so much drama. Besides, she suspected Xena wouldn't rest until she was gone after today's events.

When she got home from school, she let out a long and relaxed sigh as she sat at the kitchen table. Rhetta immediately came over with a chuckle when she did.

"Your last final over?" Rhetta immediately asked as Denali looked up to find her and Mr. Kenald watching her with an amused look.

"Yes, and somehow in all the craziness, I managed to pass them all," Denali said with another sigh as she shook her head in disbelief.

" Well, Congratulations." Mr. Kenald put in with a genuine smile.

" As a celebration treat, why don't you and I go out for drinks?" Rhetta offered with a wink.

" You still have that black dress we bought a few months back that you promised me you would wear." She teased as Denali smiled. It faded though when she remembered it was among her clothes that had disappeared.

" I looked for it a few days ago, but it is another victim of my closet thief." Denali admitted as Rhetta made a scuffed sound of annoyance.

" Mr. Kenald." Rhetta immediately said as her attention turned, and Mr. Kenald looked up from the book he had been reading.

"I understand wanting to give your employees their privacy, but something really needs to be done. Nearly half of Denali's clothes have mysteriously disappeared since she moved in." Rhetta said, her annoyance apparent as Mr. Kenald frowned.

" I was under the impression my clothes were the only ones falling victim." He admitted as his attention turned to Denali.

" Is it only clothes that have disappeared?" He asked Denali who thought for a second then answered.

" My perfume I made using mom's old recipe." She admitted as Mr. Kenald's eyes narrowed before he got up and walked away without another word. She immediately looked at Rhetta who shrugged.

" You are going to borrow one of my dresses and we are going out for a lady's night." Rhetta declared and pointed at her with the spatula she had in her hand to emphasize her point.

"Deal." Denali agreed with a small laugh.

Denali and Rhetta immediately went to Rhetta's room after their conversation. Rhetta found her a bright red dress that made her feel like she had night she had Mr. Kenald had spent together. A night that he seemed to of completely forgotten about and pretend it didn't happen.

"You okay? You seem down all the sudden." Rhetta commented but Denali immediately forced a smile.

"I'm fine." She immediately answered as she smiles at Rhetta.

"Let's go." She said as she offered her arm and Rhetta smiled, taking it.

She didn't remember the last time she had been to a bar. Rhetta immediately pulled her on the dance floor were others were dancing. When Rhetta gave her an encouraging smile, she joined in. She felt like a fool, but it was a bar. People were too drunk to care if you danced bad.

While dancing, Denali looked around curiously, taking in the atmosphere. It was then her eyes fell on a familiar face. Watching from the VIP section was Mr. Kenald. What was he doing here?

"Mr. Kenald?" She asked Rhetta as Rhetta followed her gaze.

"He must have fought with Xena again. This is where he comes to drink when he comes to the cabin." Rhetta answered before a man who had been watching her came over and her attention turned.

Mr. Kenald had a different, unfamiliar look in his eyes though as he watched her. It was a look she had seen once. It had been the night he had been inside her.

She turned away as the memory resurfaced. She also made her way off the dance floor and considered leaving before she remembered that Rhetta's car was her ride home.

She sighed in annoyance at her inability to just relax like Rhetta was doing. The man was very clearly interested in her and she in him as they grinded their bodies against each other on the dance floor. So much for girl's night out.

"You alright? You left the dance floor." A male voice said, and she didn't even have to look to know whose it belonged to.

"Not my usual crowd." She bit out as she watched Rhetta with envy.

"Come on." He offered as he pulled her towards the exit.

" I will send Rhetta a text and tell her I took you home." He promised when she tried to argue.

"She is preoccupied anyways." He added in case she tried to argue again.

He walked her out to his car before he got in. He then assured her he hadn't been drinking at all before she had come in and was fit to drive.

"Xena finally admitted what really happened at the pool." He said as he pulled out of the driveway.

"That was big of her." Denali bit back as she watched the houses go by.

"Where are we going?" She asked as he turned before the driveway to the cabin.

"Someplace special." He added as he gave her a teasing smile. She smiled back at first, then it faded.

"Shouldn't you be doing this with your mate?" She asked as she played with her purse in her lap.

"I don't want to talk about that right now." He answered with a sigh as he pulled onto a dirt road.

The silence then stretched before he pulled into a turnout and got out. She followed him but was stunned into silence when she looked at where he had taken her.

The turnout was at the top of the mountain the cabin sat on. It was beautiful and nature was all around them.

"You can see the whole valley." She answered in amazement.

The colors of sunset painted the sky and forest below them. It was beautiful.

"I often come here when I need to think or run." He said as she felt him come up behind her. She was immediately aware of his heat as she swallowed at the foreign heat that rose inside her in response.

"I need to know something." He whispered before she felt his head next to hers as he inhaled a deep breath.

She stood frozen and confused as he did. Uncertain as to why he was doing what he was. Was he scenting her? Was it some weird wolf thing she didn't know?

Slowly, he took another deep breath and she tried to focus on the sunset to not miss its beauty. It was hard with him so close though.

"It is you." He whispered, voice laced with wonder before he turned her head and kissed her. She didn't react at all, completely caught off guard.

"Listen to your body. It knows." He encouraged as she did just that and let go as she kissed him back.