Chapter Sixteen

It wasn't long into his treatment that a wolf from the other pack came to him.

He was their pack doctor and wanted permission to treat his fellow deserters. Takota immediately granted his request. He then needed to decide what to do with them. He immediately eyed Deigo.

"No." Came a swift response and Takota smiled.

"I wont run two packs and if we leave them to find one of their own, they will run straight back to their old alpha." He reminded him as Deigo tried his best to ignore him.

"You could do whatever you wanted with your own pack. Choose any focus." Takota emphasized.

Diego had always had a soft spot for orphans. One himself after his parents car accident, he always spent his free time with youth groups or councilor to local schools when they had children that needed special attention.

"I will think about it." He finally answered in a tight voice and Takota nodded, satisfied.

Most of his pack wolves were gone when he was finally cleared to leave. Some had stayed out of curiosity though. He just now had to figure out how to proceed.

He needed the formula from his mate, but he needed her human to do that. After he got it from her, he could hire a crew to mass produce it. He would offer it for free. No one had a right to deny a she-wolf her freedom because she lacked the money to offer for it.

"Can you change back for me, baby?" He immediately asked as his attention turned to his next biggest problem.

At his words, her head immediately turned sideways and some of his worst fears were confirmed when she did. She was really far gone. What had happened to make her bury herself so far deep into her wolf?

"Come on." He sighed as he got up, waiting to try another approach.

She followed him as he went out of the house and towards the woods. By the time he changed, he could smell her excitement. She immediately howled at him to hurry him as she took off and he chased her.

He lost track of the amount of time he ran with her. She didn't slow until his feet nearly gave out from under him. He knew she had needed it. It was a release from everything.

Diego had told him about the call the hotel had made. As it turned out, Xena had truly booked the tickets using his name. She had asked his secretary to book them and with her being his supposed mate, his secretary just assumed it a present and made the reservations. It had all been a trap, but the hotel had later called and told him about the mess they had found.

When he shifted back, an annoyed sigh came from her and he smiled gently.

"Come here, baby." He immediately coaxed when his shift completed. She gave another sigh before she went back to him.

"Change back for me. Please?" He pleaded, using his voice, as well as their connection as mates to try and coax her back. He could feel its pull and her need to please him, her mate, from both her human and wolf side.

"Please." He coaxed again when he got no response. This time, he let his emotion show in his voice as he burred his face in her fur.

He realized then he was truly afraid he would never see her gentle smile and inner strength she only showed when someone pushed her to far.

Her soul was gentle and understanding by nature, but when pushed to far, he saw her fighting spirit. He had seen it the day she had pushed Xena in the pool. That same fighting spirit was likely the one that aided her when she traveled nearly across the country on foot after she had been attacked.

"Takota?" Her voice suddenly said and he nearly wept in relief, before he pulled her closer. Seconds later, he felt her start to cry and he was further relieved.

Their kind often fled to their wolf form when something traumatic happened. They did it because their wolves didn't feel emotions like humans did. Being a wolf would dull the human emotions and make it more tolerable. Some never turned back to face their feelings though. Now that he got her to change back and to face all those emotions, he wouldn't lose the human her.

"Shh." He soothed as he let her cry and held her tight.

As soon as she calmed, she started to tell him everything. He stayed quiet and listened, letting her vent everything. She talked about her family, before and trying to find the cure. She then talked about everything that had happened and told him about the attack and running as a wolf with no sense of time.

Looking  back, she could see now how much he meant to both her and her wolf, just as both his halves meant to her. When she had finally let it out all out, she went quiet and he held her tight.

" What do we do about the perfume?" She finally asked into the silence and he sighed as he thought.

" I will make a lab where we can produce it. If we just release it on the internet, or somewhere, the supplies used to make it will skyrocket." He explained as she nodded agreement.

" Can we make the ingredients ourselves?" He asked and after a few minutes pause, she nodded. She then buried her head in his chest and he pulled her closer with a content sigh.

" I love you." She said and his smiled grew.

" I love you to." He answered before he pulled her head up for a kiss.