Chapter Three

When Denali came home the next day, she immediately noticed more staff members had left. The schedule only held a handful of people, compared to its usual three pages full. Xena seemed content to chase everyone else away. It was very likely she was purposely doing so in hopes her friends could work here instead, Denali immediately concluded. She sighed as she realized it was probably a matter of time until everyone was replaced.

Denali did her best to clean up, but judging by the trash and overturned furniture, Xena was purposely making extra work for everyone who was left. Denali would have to look for another job, but finals were in a few days, so it would wait.

Denali managed to clean the living room and hall before she sighed as she gave up. She hadn't seen anyone since she had got home and began to wonder if anyone was even home as she headed to bed.

She was on her way back to her room when Xena came around the corner and Denali froze. She tried to turn away, but it was too late. Xena had seen her.

"Hello, street rat." She said as she lunged at Denali.

When Xena grabbed her hair again, anger flared inside her. Just because she wasn't rich, didn't mean she was worthless.

"I just got done screwing my mate." She said as Denali reached up to grab the hand that had her hair.

"It's too bad no one like you will ever know what it's like to have a mate." She said with an amused voice as she gave Denali's hair another hard pull.

"Nothing to say?" She mocked as something inside Denali snapped. Strength unlike any she had known flowed through her and with it, anger.

Denali's face went tight in anger moments before she grabbed Xena's wrist and squeezed as hard as she could. Xena immediately cried out as she let go and Denali immediately turned, knocking her feet out from under her. Xena stared at her in shock for only a moment or two, then she grinned, and Denali's stomach turned sour.

"Mr. Kenald!" She immediately called before she stared to cry, and Denali debated running. She hesitated to long and realized this as soon as he came around the corner with narrowed eyes.

"Denali attacked me!" Xena immediately cried as she covered her face, pretending to cry. Panic rose inside Denali as she watched him help her up.

"I want her gone baby. She has always hated me and is jealous I found my mate when she hasn't." Xena said, pointing at her as true fear rose inside her. She needed this job.

"Considering the circumstances when we all met, I find that hard to believe." He surprised her in saying as he crossed his arms while he looked at Xena.

"I have overlooked many things because you are my mate, but if you wish to remain by my side, then you need to change your attitude." He lectured as Denali tried not to grin. He saw right through her.

"But you're my mate. Your supposed to protect me and take care of me." She immediately said, forgetting she was supposed to be crying and trading her mock tears for anger.

"And I will, just as promised. This includes protecting you from yourself. " He explained with amusement in his voice.

"If you continue to have an attitude of self-entitlement, it is one day going to bite us both in the ass when you do it to the wrong person and I won't be able to protect you." He added as he turned away from her with a sigh.

"Come on Denali. I suddenly have a desire to get out of the house for a while." He said as he motioned to her and she followed him after giving Xena a quick look. If she stayed, all hell would break loose. She was safer with Mr. Kenald.