Chapter Fifteen

His heart had nearly stopped when he had sensed her. His emotions had been a mix of relief and fear when he had. He had been through hell, however long he had been down here. He didn't even know anymore. There was no sense of day and night down here in this dungeon that had been his home while held prisoner.

He was still furious one of these rogues had been able to sneak up on him when he had returned to pack their things and take her somewhere safe. He was just thankful he had the sense to call Diego and tell him everything on the way back.

He had immediately sensed the pack when they had come near. He had sensed her to, but he hadn't shown her how to communicate with the pack, so she wasn't aware that they could sense her emotions and intentions. He also sensed Rhetta and her wolf. That meant they had realized the source of the cure that freed the she-wolves wolf self.

Xena had told the rogue pack that she had its source and if they handed him to her then she would give that information for them to sell to the highest bidder.

He had grinned when Denali had outsmarted them and they had both chased her. It faded seconds later though when he realized the pair would eventually catch her and when they did, she would be in some serious trouble.

"Rhetta." He immediately said as soon as Xena disappeared up the stairs. Rhetta immediately rose, but her stiff movements told him how hurt she really was. Diego would be pissed when he saw her, but maybe it would be just the fuel he needed.

" You pull, I will push." He immediately told her.

He had been eyeing the rust on the bars for days, trying to think of a way to get the strength to break the bars. With her help, he might just have enough. He hoped.

Rhetta bit the pole that he pushed on when she jerked, it groaned in protest and anxiousness rose inside him. He needed to get to her and help. His mate needed help dammit.

His worry and need to help his mate made his wolf grow stronger and he let out a growl of determination as they tried again. When it broke, he immediately turned his body sideways and was able to slip out.

The moment he was out, he picked up Rhetta and ran up the stairs. He found both packs fighting and spotted Diego in wolf form not far away.

"Dig." He called out, using his childhood nickname. Diego's attention immediately turned when he did.

"Protect her." He called out as he ran to him and set Rhetta down.

Deigo immediately tensed when he did and he knew Diego had gone full on warrior mode. Nothing, pain nor injury would stop him from protecting her.

The two had secretly loved each other since they were kids. They were just both to stubbern to admit it, but perhaps this would be the event that finally did it.

As soon as he knew she was safe, he darted after his mates scent. She was a fighter. She would be okay, she just had to be.

He paused only long enough to change, knowing his wolf nose would help more the his human one would when tracking her.

He followd her scent to the woods and both the alphas and Xenas were hot on her tail.

Lack of food and being in there so long weakened him, but he still had the strength to protect his mate. That he promised.

He shrunk down when their scents grew stronger. Then he came on a scene that had he been in human form, he would have laughed with relief.

Xena and the alpha were both in wolf form. They circled the area as they searched for her. She meanwhile stood on a tree branch far above them and watched as they searched for her. She had again out smarted them. They were larger then regular wolves, but she was smaller and lighter then most their kind. Her black pelt also allowed her to stay hidden in the darkness of night.

Neither wolf nor human ever had to fear a predator from above. As such, instinct always told you to look around you at ground level. They would find her eventually though. He just had a find a way to separate them before then.

He knew he could take on Xena. She was so arrogant she didn't even take the time to familiarize herself with her wolf body. His mate though, seemed to have judging by how she dodged them earlier.

The alpha though, was a problem he noted as he watched the alpha snap at a stray twig out of anger and frustration.

When the alpha came closer, Takota adjusted and his fatigue cost him. Both their heads turned as the twig snapped and he went completely stiff, counting on the natural camouflage of his coat to keep him hidden.

When the alpha started his direction, Xena snapped at him. He immediately turned on her when she did and a fight ensued between the two.

Takota then sensed Denali's intentions and his focus turned. He immediately charged at the alpha while Denali pounced on Xena.

Takota knew he was in trouble the first time they traded blows. It was obvious the other alpha was stronger in Takotas weakened state.

When the sound of yiping filled the air, Takota spared a moments glance to see Denali having pinned Xena. He could feel her blind fury and it truly made him worry.

She was far more wolf then woman. Many of their kind had lost their human side to their wolf and he knew she was teetering on the edge of that line and after this battle was over, he would have to find a way to bring her back to him.

Takota let out a growl at the sudden pain of the other alpha grabbing his neck. He immediately turned and the other alpha bit into skin instead of muscle.

The sound of his growl of pain made his mate lose it. She immediately went after the alpha, forgetting about Xena in her rage.

The alpha let go when she did and turned to face his mate. Panic fueled him along with adrenaline. He pounced on the alpha as the two met and grabbed each other by the necks.

He bit into the alphas hard, forcing him to turn his attention. When he did, Denali bit just as hard. Seconds later, Takota gave out a confident growl when the smell of the alphas fear filled his nose.

True to a alpha pair, they worked together. When his attention turned to one, the other would hurt him so he would again turn his attention. He even looked over for help from Xena, but she was gone.

They fought him until he was bleeding and his fear stank the air. Taking turns attacking made him furious, but he couldn't catch either of them. Finally, he did what Takota wanted. He ran.

Running was the same as submitting. Takota chased him until he was confident he wouldn't come back, then he went to Denali and rubbed his body against hers, needing to feel her against him.

As he headed back to the battle field he could feel that the fighting had stopped. Deigo then told him that when the alpha had run, some of the other wolves had run to.

The rest had become submissive and they would now accept him as their alpha, since their own had abandoned them. He would deal with them later. Right now he needed to make sure his own pack was seen to by the pack doctors and that all of them were okay.

Denali followed him back and sure enough, he found all the other wolves huddled together, seeking comfort. It was likely all the other rogues had left with the alpha. Those that remained were likely from conquered packs so had no loyalty to the other alpha.

He sighed as he made his way to Rhetta and Diego. He checked on them both before he rubbed on them, thanking them for being okay. He then made his way back into the old alphas home.

" I will summon our pack doctor." Deigo said as Takota finished his change back in the living room. Takota sighed as he nodded and sat down on the couch. He needed to be looked at.

"Hello beautiful." He said to her as soon as she jumped up next to him and rested her head on him.

"They will come back, but for now, we are safe." He said with a relieved sigh.

He had won the battle, now it was time to win the war. He thought as he already started to think of a way to bring back his mates human side.

He would save her from herself and bring her back. Then they could finally relax and be the family he wanted them to be. One day he would see her in a wedding dress and they would grow old together. That he knew with all his heart.