Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Claribelle's POV

I could not believe he had said that! I was seething in the hallway. How dare he say that it would be better if they'd died? He didn't know anything about them! He didn't know what had happened to make them coven-less and he didn't know how much some vampires just craved acceptance. Very few vampires could survive outside a coven and the ones that did were normally heart-less, not caring that they had no one.

These vampires out there were probably just dying for some companionship, for someone to care, to fit in, to feel normal. They probably think that the only way that they can be happy is to be in a coven and that the coven that gave them this ultimatum is the only one that will ever take them.

I wanted to go out there right now and find them. Tell them that they didn't have to hurt anyone, that it wasn't the only way. I wanted to show them what a loving coven they could be a part of if they just came with me.

I sighed at the thought. I couldn't go back out there without someone now that my parents knew there were rogues out there. Maybe Max would come with me when he wasn't on patrol. I certainly wasn't going to ask the pompous ass in the bedroom.

I smoothed out my dress, put a smile on my face and started for the stairs. It was time to go down to the party. I heard the door behind me open and his voice made me freeze.

"Claribelle please," he said quietly.

I didn't turn around. I was still mad at him. I knew that if I turned around and saw the expression that matched that voice I would cave and I wasn't going to do that. He had some explaining to do.

"I'm sorry, Clari," he told me, walking closer and putting a hand on my shoulder. "I didn't mean that, I swear I didn't. I was just angry because they hurt one of my pack mates. They don't deserve to die, but they should be punished in some way for their actions."

Now, I turned to face him. "Do you really think that Jerome is going to let them into our coven without them making up for what they did?" I asked of him. "We want to help them, but we do have rules around here. We're a respectable coven and we don't hurt people who aren't already asking for it."

"I'm sorry," he said again. "It's going to take some time for me, Clari," he told me, taking my hands in his. "I've never been around vampires before; I don't know fact from rumors. It's just another thing you're going to have to teach me." He gave me a small, pleading smile. Pleading with me to forgive him.

I sighed and then I gave him a small smile in return. "It seems there's a lot that I need to teach you," I told him.

His small smile transformed into a wide grin and he pulled me into his chest, squeezing me tightly. "Thank you, Clari," he whispered.

I smiled and pulled away, kissing him on the cheek before taking his hand. "There's no better time to start than right now," I told him, pulling him after me as I headed down the stairs. It was nearly a quarter past eight, so I knew everyone was waiting for me to come down.

I could hear and feel the music pounding through the door and I smiled. The club was in full swing and I knew it was packed with not only my coven, but others as well. It was nighttime at Fangs and everyone was here to let loose.

"Brace yourself," I warned Damien. "It's not just my coven here right now. It's a club, there are covens from all over the state out there right now and not all of them are friendly or respectful."

He growled. "If they come near you, I'll kill them."

I shook my head, turning to face him. "You won't do a thing," I warned him, looking at him sternly.