Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Damien's POV

It wasn't long before the back yard was filled with members of my pack. I could feel Claribelle practically vibrating with nerves beside me. I took her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. She smiled thankfully at me and I returned her smile at the same time that my dad stood up.

"I think everyone is here," he announced. "Let's get out there and inform everyone who their new Luna is going to be."

He glanced carefully at Clari and I could tell that he knew how nervous she was. My mom could too. "Clari, everything is going to be fine," she stated as she stood up and took my dad's hand.

Clari nodded, confidence infusing her as she stood up and pulled me up with her. "I'm ready," she told them with a nod.

I saw a small smile of approval lift the corners of my dad's mouth. "Let's get out there then."

Cole stood and walked out before the rest of us, probably to join the rest of the pack. I was disappointed that he didn't want to stand with us as my beta. I understood that he would need time to adjust to me having a vampire as a mate, but I didn't think he'd take it this far. He was basically letting the pack know that the soon-to-be alpha didn't have the support of his chosen beta.

Clari must have noticed my reaction to Cole's departure because she leaned up to give me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Give him time," she whispered to me. "He'll come around eventually."

I appreciated her vote of confidence in my best friend, but I wasn't sure I believed it. He'd carried a chip on his shoulder due to the death of his father and I wasn't sure he could ever separate the vampires that had murdered his father and Claribelle.

Instead of voicing this fear, I squeezed her hand gently and we followed my parents to the back door and the pack that was waiting to hear who their future alpha had mated with. I took a deep breath when I saw the crowd through the glass on the door and glanced down at Clari. She smiled up at me and nodded. She was ready to face them.

My mom gave us a quick smile over her shoulder and then my dad was pulling open the door. The pack turned as a unit to see their leaders walk onto the back deck where most announcements were made. Their faces were excited and expectant, eager to meet their new leader. They greeted my parents with respectful nods and bows before looking behind them, looking for us.

I watched as confusion, shock and finally fear and outrage crossed the faces of my pack members as they realized that the woman by my side was not a werewolf, but a vampire. Their enemy. They began yelling and pushing forward, demanding explanations.

My father raised his arms for silence, but he was ignored. I think that angered him more than anything else. He was used to his every whim being obeyed by the pack and for them to ignore his call for silence was incredibly offensive to him.

"Shut up!" he bellowed angrily, causing the pack to cease their screaming out of shock more than anything else. "If you want an explanation so badly than I suggest you shut your mouths and give us the time to properly give you one!" The anger in his voice was palpable and no one in the pack dared move a muscle. "My son, your future alpha, has found his mate and brought her here to meet you. I know she's not what you expected, but you will stay silent while he explains his actions to you."

He stared them down until every member had lowered their gazes in submission to his demand. When he was satisfied, he turned to us and motioned with his hand for us to come forward and address the pack.

Claribelle was tense, but her posture was straight and confident. If you didn't know her, you would assume that she held no fear or worry about being the only vampire in the middle of a pack of werewolves. Only I could feel the slight tremor in the hand that I held, giving away her nerves.