Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Claribelle's POV

"You two ready for a party?" Levi asked as he pulled up the driveway to the pack house, cars already lining the drive.

I shrugged noncommittally, not really sure if I was more excited or nervous for this party. If Damien's parents weren't coming to this barbeque, the answer would have been a very firm excited, but with them here, nerves were overshadowing the normal thrill that having the pack and coven together normally gives me.

I think Xavier picked up on my nerves because he turned around in his seat to face me. "What's on your mind, Belle?" he asked, looking at me worriedly.

"Damien's parents and a few wolves from their pack are going to be here today. I'm just a little bit nervous."

Xavier rolled his eyes, making me glare at him. He chuckled at my response and then said, "Stop being nervous, you worry wart. Just act natural and mingle like you always do. They'll see it can be done if you act the same as you always do. Getting nervous is only going to make them think something is wrong."

"That's easier said than done," I muttered, turning away from him and opening the car door so that I could get out.

Damien followed, a strange look crossing his face as he took my hand after following me out. "Can you give us a moment?" he asked Levi and Xavier as he tugged me away by my hand.

I followed after him in confusion. I couldn't read the emotions on his face and I didn't know what he would need to pull me away to talk to me about before the party. He had me a little worried, thinking something might be wrong. Oh, god! What if he was rethinking this and decided that being together was just too much for him to handle? Too much trouble to be considered worth it?

I was freaking myself out and on the verge of hyperventilating when Damien spun around, grasping my face gently in his hands and saying in a comforting tone, "I don't know what you're thinking, but you're wrong." His tone was firm and his eyes were hard. "If you're worked up about what I'm going to say, then you're wrong about the subject. Calm down, Clari," he added in a whisper.

I took a deep breath, deciding to trust him that this conversation wasn't anything to be worked up about. When I was calmer, I gave him a little smile and he released his hold on my face, smiling back.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked of him, twisting my fingers together nervously.

"I can tell that you're nervous about today," he told me, jumping right in. "I think that's mostly my fault." I tried to protest, but he wrapped a hand around my mouth and said, "Just let me finish, Clari. It's my fault. I know that I gave you the impression that we couldn't be together if we couldn't get my pack to accept you.

"I was stupid, Clari. There's no way I could live without you. My pack will have to accept you or choose another leader because you're mine and nobody is ever going to change that. I want you to be yourself at the barbeque today and stop worrying about what my parents or my pack will think of you. This is your time, your territory and my parents have no right to make you feel uncomfortable."

I couldn't help the tears that fell from my eyes at his statement. His face twisted in sorrow as he wiped them gently away. I didn't think he realized exactly how much pressure I was under to get his parents and pack to accept me with the ultimatum that if they didn't, we couldn't be together. With just his short little speech, it felt as if the weight of the world had been taken off my shoulders. Dramatic, I know, but it's how I felt.

"Thank you," I whispered, tears still falling.

He sighed, pulling me tightly to his chest and I wrapped my arms around his neck, burying my face in his shoulders as I tried to stop the ridiculous tears.