THIRTY FIVE

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE | WHEN THE LIGHTS GO DOWN 

__________

and i can't trust this world to teach their sons how to treat my daughter. so i will raise her to be a sword, a spear, a shield.

-elizabeth acevedo

__________

"It's so annoying! All they do is, like, make out!"

Jackie drummed her fingers into her cheek and listened to the furious words pouring from Will's mouth.

"And, it's like he doesn't have time for any of us anymore!"

Jackie placed her hands on Will's shoulders to cut him off and smiled gently. "Bud, are you sure you're not even a little jealous?"

Will scoffed. "I don't like El."

She arched an eyebrow at him. That wasn't exactly what she meant, but she'd let him do his own thing. Jackie turned away from the records she was sorting and crossed her arms.

"Will, I don't think you need to worry about this. I'm pretty sure this is just normal teenager stuff." Jackie licked her lips and leaned her hip against the rack of vinyls. "I mean, when Steve and I first got together all I wanted to do was make out. When you get into your first relationship, I'm sure you'll want the same."

Will frowned, looking about four years younger as he pouted. Jackie cooed at him teasingly and ruffled up his hair, which turned his frown into a scowl.

"So, you got any fun plans for the night?"

"Steve's gonna sneak us into Day of the Dead."

Eyebrow arched, Jackie stared Will down. "Isn't that movie rated R?"

He grinned sheepishly up at her. She snorted and glanced up at the clock. Her work day was now officially done and she didn't want to stay a second longer than she needed to. Avoiding Eddie's wandering eyes was all she wanted, and it was so much easier to do that when she wasn't in the store.

"I'm heading to Scoops now," Jackie said, beginning to steer Will out of the store. "You wanna come with? I'll buy you an ice cream."

"No," he said after a minute. "Thank you, though. Lucas and Max will be here soon. I'm gonna meet them outside."

She grinned and knocked him lightly on the head. "All right. Stay safe, pal."

They went their separate ways; Will to the entrance and Jackie to Scoops. Robin was stationed at the counter, handing some young girl her change for a giant cone of mint ice cream. Though she looked miserable with her life, there was still something a little magical about Robin that Jackie liked a lot.

"Hey, Robin!" Jackie said, pulling her backpack higher up on her shoulder. "How's your day been?"

There was a light flush to Robin's freckled cheeks. "Busy," she said in a tight voice. "Steve sucks at his job."