THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY | SUMMERTIME BLUES

__________

but must it always be a tragedy? maybe suns are meant to love boys who fall into seas.

-dear poets, it's time to rewrite icarus // p.d

__________

Jackie entered her house with her head held high and a great big grin.

"So?" Peggy asked as soon as she saw Jackie.

"I got the job!" Jackie squealed in excitement, pulling her payroll forms out of her purse. "I start in three weeks!"

A new mall was opening in Hawkins on the edge of town and Jackie had gotten a job in the record store that was being put in. While the mall was scheduled to open just before the fourth, she was supposed to start at the end of June for training and set-up. The pay wasn't anything spectacular, just minimum wage, but she figured she wouldn't be babysitting anymore since the boys were going into high school so she'd need another source of income. And, besides, she'd get to spend her days listening to the latest music and just chilling out in an air conditioned room. Much better than the lifeguard job Peggy had initially suggested she take.

"Yes!" Peggy cheered, sounding just as happy as Jackie was. "Look at you! My baby, joining the workforce! Like a real, proper adult!"

She squeezed Jackie's cheeks and pressed a jubilant kiss to the teenager's forehead before stepping away. "I'm off for my shift now. Won't be back until tomorrow afternoon. Stay safe, okay?"

"Okay." Jackie smiled at her aunt. "Love you, Peg."

"Love you too, baby."

And with that, Peggy grabbed her keys and exited the house. Jackie checked the clock hanging on the wall above her and cursed quietly. She was supposed to go over to Steve's for a mini pool-party thing with him, Shelly, Marty, and Laura. A few other people might have been going over ( such as Tommy H and Carol, who he was only half acquaintances with by the end of junior year but still sort of hung around with ), but Jackie wasn't sure. She quickly changed into a bathing suit and pulled on a pair of shorts and a ratty t-shirt before stuffing pajamas and a change of clothes into a bag, knowing she'd probably end up staying the night at Steve's.

When she got into her car, she put in her Sheer Heart Attack tape and sang along softly to 'Brighton Rock.' By the time she pulled into his driveway, 'Tenement Funster' was only halfway through the chorus. Part of her considered staying in the car to finish the song, but she decided against it and turned off the car. Steve was already at the door by the time she knocked, dressed in bright red swim shorts hanging low on his hips and the Indiana State shirt he'd gotten as part of his acceptance. From outside, she could hear Straight to Hell by The Clash playing on Steve's stereo.

"Hey," he said, kissing her softly on the temple as he pulled her inside. "How'd the interview go?"

She grinned up at him. "I got the job! I start in three weeks." She kicked the door shut behind her and set her bag down on the floor. "What about you? Hear from anywhere yet?"