FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN | A CHALLENGE

__________

...a terrible hunger for knowing things, for knowing everything.

-deathless // catherynne m. valente

__________

"You had sex with him?" Jackie hissed.

"Keep your voice down, please," Shelly snapped, falling forward and burying her head into her arms. "David wasn't around and I was just— Jackie, it was bad."

Stiffening, Jackie leaned in and grabbed Shelly's hand. "Shelly, did he— did he—"

"He didn't force me to do anything," Shelly said. "Calm down. I just... I've never gone that far before and I wasn't expecting it to... hurt?"

Gross, Jackie thought to herself. In all Peggy had explained to her about sex, she'd never said it was supposed to hurt. Pursing her lips, Jackie stood up and placed her hands on Shelly's shoulders.

"Is that supposed to happen?" Jackie asked, scrunching her nose up.

Shelly shrugged. "I don't know! I thought it'd be all, like, fisting the sheets and arching backs and... fun! But instead I got pain, no orgasm, and a dirty condom!"

"He— he threw the condom at you?"

"No, but he left it on my floor!"

"That's disgusting."

"Yeah, he's a piece of shit," Shelly huffed, running a hand over the back of her head. "I don't give a shit about him or his mullet... or that beautiful, beautiful ass and his perfectly sculpted torso."

Grimacing, Jackie leaned forward and clapped her hands together in Shelly's face. At the sound, everyone at the surrounding library tables jumped up and shot Jackie vicious glares. Throwing her hands up in apology, Jackie gathered her things and stood up.

"Snap out of it, Shell," Jackie sighed. "He's a shithead and you don't need that around you."

"Where you going?" Shelly asked.

Jackie glanced at the clock. "Steve'll be done with basketball soon and we're supposed to study for calc tonight."

God, she hoped things wouldn't be weird. Last night and this morning had been fine, but with both of them having had all day to think about the almost-kiss, Jackie had no idea what their relationship would be like this afternoon.

"Wanna wait outside of the gym with me?" Jackie asked, hoisting her backpack further up onto her shoulder.

"No," Shelly said. "I have to do this stuff for English. And Billy's on the basketball team and I don't wanna see his stupid face."

"Atta girl," Jackie said. She clasped Shelly on the shoulder and smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?"

"Yeah, sounds good," Shelly said, waving her hand to shoo Jackie off. "Now, leave me alone so I can work, you bad influence."

By the time Jackie got into the hallway near the gym, several of the guys on the basketball team were already filing out of the locker room. Billy approached her, a smirk on his face and an insufferable swagger in his step. For some reason, he was topless and Jackie hated that she wasn't utterly put-off by the sight.

"How's it going, Hanlon?"

"I'm doing just fine," Jackie said with a sweet as sugar smile. "How about you, Billy?"

His tongue darted out and swiped across his cherry red lips. "Oh, I'm doing just fine, sweetheart."

He shuffled towards her, eyes alight. Stiffening, Jackie took a small step back, eliciting a small smirk from Billy.

"Why is it that every girl around here seems to want into my pants except you?"

Narrowing her eyes, Jackie put on yet another sugary smile and leaned in close so that her lips were right by Billy's ear. She placed a hand on his bare shoulder and whispered, "Maybe because I find you insufferable."

When he laughed loudly, Jackie shoved him backwards.

"You're feisty," Billy snickered. "But I happen to like myself a challenge."

"Learn the meaning of the word no," Jackie said coolly, setting her jaw.

Wishing nothing more than for an excuse to get out of this conversation, Jackie glanced around the hallway. Where the hell was Steve? How long did a stupid shower take? Jesus Christ, Billy never stopped talking. Everything about him, from his leering eyes and cold voice, made Jackie's skin itch.

Lucky for her, Steve finally made his way out of the locker room and it became clear why he'd taken so long. His hair was perfect, as styled as it had been that morning.

"Hey," Steve said, squaring his shoulders back as he neared Jackie and Billy.

"Harrington," Billy said in a fake, cheerful voice. He threw his arm around Jackie's shoulders and drew her into his side. "I was just getting to know your little girlfriend, here."

Steve's eyes met Jackie's.

"How about you leave her alone, Hargrove," Steve snapped. "Clearly, she wants nothing to do with you."

Billy removed his arm from Jackie's shoulders and roughly shoved her towards Steve. Scowling, she turned around.

"Screw off, Billy," she spat.

All he did was laugh at her and turn away, swinging his shirt over his own shoulders like it was a towel. Lips pursed, Jackie turned to Steve and rolled her eyes.

"He's an ass," she said.

"Believe me," Steve muttered, staring down the hallway and watching Billy retreat, "I know." He looked down at Jackie, concerned. "What'd he say to you?"

"Nothing really," Jackie shrugged. "Just that he likes a challenge... totally gross." She glanced up and smiled. "Don't worry about me, Steve. I can take care of myself."

"Oh, I don't doubt that." Steve laughed and wrapped his arm around Jackie's shoulders in a very different way than when Billy did it. "Okay, let's go. I'll buy you a pizza."

____________________

#BillyLeaveJackieAloneChallenge 

Anyway, I adore Jackie and Shelly's friendship. They're both angels. Also, next chapter we start to delve into actual canon events and it'll be a lot of fun

-peterparrker