THIRTY THREE

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE | THE COWORKER 

__________

you're in a car with a beautiful boy, and you're trying not to tell him that you love him, and you're trying to choke down the feeling, and you're trembling, but he reaches over and he touches you, like a prayer for which no words exist, and you feel your heart taking root in your body, like you've discovered something you didn't even have a name for.

-richard siken

__________

Eddie Johnson was the most insufferable prick Jackie had ever dealt with, and she was stuck working with him from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. every day except Sundays. It had been only a week, but every day she found herself counting the slow passing minutes to get to 5:00. It was unfortunate, because she loved her job. She loved discussing music and helping people figure out their own taste and style, but if she caught Eddie staring at her ass one more time she might snap and break a stereo over his head.

"I'm taking my break," Jackie said, slapping her hand on the register counter and walking away from Eddie.

"Can you get me a hot dog on a stick?" he called after her.

She pretended she couldn't hear him. Biting her lip, Jackie dodged her way through the shoppers and stepped foot into Scoops Ahoy. The small ice cream shop had a few customers seated, but Jackie had her sights set on the boy behind the register. His back was turned and he was fiddling with something. A tiny smirk made its way onto her face and she slammed her hand down on the little bell. His shoulders jumped up and he turned around.

"Ahoy!" His eyes met hers and he relaxed. "Oh, hey, Jack."

"Hey, Popeye," Jackie said. "Can I get a small strawberry in a cup?"

"Coming right up."

With his back turned to scoop the ice cream, Jackie took the opportunity to get a good look at his uniform. It was absolutely ridiculous, but she had to say — she kinda liked it. When he turned around, ice cream in hand, she cleared her throat and straightened up. He smirked down at her, definitely knowing what she'd been doing.

"That'll cost you one kiss."

Snorting, Jackie leaned over the counter and pressed a quick kiss to his mouth. "Sap." She took the ice cream from him and shoved a spoonful into her mouth. "What time do you get out of here?"

"I'm here 'til close," he said, making a face.

Their early hopes of finding a way to work the same shift hours had died quickly, as the owners of their respective stores had very different ways of running business. She was also fairly certain that her boss had more employees than Steve's. How many teenagers would really want to wear the outfit Steve was forced into when they could just wear shorts and a company shirt like what Jackie had? So, he was stuck working nearly all day, every day.