SIX

CHAPTER SIX | THE THINGS WE DO FOR FRIENDSHIP

__________

stop acting so small. you are the universe in ecstatic motion.

-rumi

__________

Steve showed up at Jackie's house the day after Christmas. His rapid knocks on the door had been answered Peggy, as Jackie was still fast asleep in a tangle of blankets on her bed. When Jackie did wake up ( well after eleven in the morning ), to say she was shocked to see Steve and her aunt drinking tea together at their kitchen table would have been a great understatement.

"Steve," Jackie said, blinking at the sight in confusion. She crossed her arms over her braless chest. "Wh-what are you, um... doing here?"

"You said you wanted to hang out over break," he said, smiling.

"A call in advance would be nice," she said, laughing awkwardly.

"Next time," he promised.

Peggy, while Steve wasn't looking, nodded her head in his direction and gave Jackie a thumbs-up.

"I'll, um, I'll change and then we can— we can do whatever."

Once back in her room, Jackie yelled quietly into her hands. She allowed herself that moment of freak-out, before straightening up and regaining her composure. Wasting no time, she pulled out clean undergarments, a pair of light jeans, and a dark brown sweater. She winced at the sound of Steve and Peggy laughing as she grabbed a pair of boots from her closet.

"Okay," Jackie said, walking back into the kitchen. "All set."

"It was nice meeting you, Ms. Hanlon," Steve said, standing up from the table and smiling at Peggy. He'd taken his shoes off this time, Jackie noted.

"Please, call me Peggy."

Jackie's eyebrows flew up. Not even her so-called best friend from Queens had been so quickly allowed to call Peggy by her first name.

Steve grinned that charming smile of his and nodded at Peggy before exiting the kitchen.

"I like him," Peggy whispered loudly. "He's so well behaved, especially for a white boy."

Scoffing, Jackie rolled her eyes. "See you later, Peggy."

"Do you need money?"

"Nope. All set. Thank you, though." Jackie leaned over the corner of the table and gave Peggy a quick hug. "Love you."

"Love you too, sweetie. Be safe."

Steve already had his shoes and jacket on by the time Jackie made her way into the hallway. He was standing by the door, fixing his hair in the reflection of the window.

"So vain, Harrington," Jackie mocked, grinning.

Steve turned towards her and smirked. "You can touch my hair if you'd like. I know you've been thinking about it."

"You wish," Jackie snorted. She licked her lips, wishing she'd applied some lip gloss before coming down. "So, we going or what?"

"You know," Steve said, as he and Jackie stepped out into the cold, snowy air, "I didn't take you to be the sleep-in-til-eleven kinda gal."

"I'm not, usually," Jackie said, rubbing her hands together. "Yesterday was a long day."

"What'd you get up to?"

"Well, we don't have any family in the area, obviously, so the Sinclairs invited us over. I was there all day keeping Lucas and Erica company, but Peggy had to leave around four to go to the hospital," Jackie said, flinging herself into the sanctuary that was Steve's odd smelling car.

( she was convinced the smell was a combination of hairspray and pizza, but Steve refused to admit to anything smelling odd in his 'baby' )

"That sounds way better than my day," Steve said, keying the ignition.

Instantly, warm air flooded the car.

"Yeah? What'd you get up to?"

"I don't really have any cousins my age," Steve said. "They're all in their twenties and getting engaged or they're, like, eight. And all the adults love to ask me about college."

"Kinda comes with the territory of being seventeen," Jackie chuckled. "Do you have any idea where you wanna go after high school?"

Steve rolled his eyes. "No. And it's not like my grades are getting me out of here."

Jackie pursed her lips. "You know, if you really wanna do better in school... I can help you out? Tutor you, or whatever?"

Steve looked over at her. "Yeah? You'd do the for me?"

"Of course!" Jackie said. "I mean, what are friends for?"

He laughed quietly, nodding. "I guess you're right, Hanlon."

She grinned smugly. "I usually am."

"So," Steve began, starting to drive down her street. "I guess this means I gotta do something for you now."

Flushing, Jackie shook her head. "I didn't offer you help to get something out of it, Steve. I don't need you to do anything for me."

He arched an eyebrow, as if he didn't believe her. But, what wasn't there to believe?

"Do you wanna get lunch?"

"I just woke up," Jackie said. "I need breakfast first."

"Not for nothing, Jack, but it's nearly noon. If we're eating, we're eating lunch."

"Jack?"

"Yeah, it's a nickname. Got a problem?"

Forcing back a smile, Jackie bit her bottom lip and shook her head. "Nope. No problems here."

For a split second, Steve took his eyes off the road and smiled at her widely. "Good."

It was a short, fleeting thought, but Jackie was sure her heart was going to burst in that moment. God, this crush really was getting out of hand. So, she looked away from him and stared straight out the windshield with her arms crossed over her chest. From the corner of her eye, she could see him still looking over at her.

"Keep your eyes on the road, Steve!"

____________________

It's October 30 and the last time I updated it was August 30... yikes. It took me sO LONG to power through this chapter, it's ridiculous. Well, lmk what you think about it!

-peterparrker