THIRTY ONE

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE | ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT, BABY!

__________

all these soft, warm nights going to waste when i ought to be lying in your arms under the moon.

-dear scott, dearest zelda // zelda fitzgerald

__________

Something loud and obnoxious by Mötley Crüe was blasting from the speakers of someone's stereo, that was hooked up to someone else's car. Jackie had her hands wrapped around a red Solo cup, but instead of being filled with beer, she just had some Coke. She had her head lean tiredly against Steve's shoulder as the sat on the roof of his car. It seemed like every teenager in town was at the quarry tonight, and the bonfire raging to the left of her added a nice, movie-like ambience to the evening. She just wished the music was different.

Steve's arm was wrapped firmly around her shoulders and his fingers were brushing along her collarbone to the beat of the song. When she glanced up at him, he was already looking down at her. As always, his eyes were all sparkly and romantic. Wordlessly, she stretched her neck up and pressed a quick and soft kiss to his lips.

"You doing okay?" he asked her, voice barely audible over all the background noise.

Jackie smiled. "Yeah. Just a bit tired."

His posture shifted as he sat up straight. "Do you want to go?"

"I don't mind being here," Jackie said.

Steve smiled knowingly and lept off the roof. He extended his hand to help her down. "Come on. Let's go."

"Are you sure?" she asked, unable to shake the feeling of his hands on her ribs from her memory. "I meant it when I say I don't mind staying."

"I know you meant it," Steve said, opening the passenger door for her. Once she sat in the seat, he leaned down so that his face was level with hers. He had that big, goofy, fond smile on his face. It was a smile she knew he reserved just for her, and it set her stomach aflutter. "And I meant it when I said we could go. I know this isn't your scene, Jack."

"I know," she said quietly. She bit the inside of her cheek and reached out to play with the undone zipper on Steve's white and red Adidas jacket. "But it's your scene, and—"

She didn't get the chance to finish what she was saying, because Steve's hands were on her cheeks and his mouth was on hers. Caught off guard, she sucked in a sharp breath. But then she melted into the kiss. Opening her mouth a bit, she curled her right fingers over the collar of his jacket and tangled her left hand into his hair. The urge to stop kissing only came when some ass walked by and yelled out a lewd comment. Scowling, Steve turned and flipped the guy off. Jackie watched him wipe his mouth and he turned back to her with a sheepish smile.

"Sorry about that."

Breathlessly, she grinned. "Don't be." She sat up straighter and nudged his knee with her foot. "You should kiss me like that more often."