Chapter 87

Sméagol hurried up the stairs, and peaked in to see if Lea was asleep. "Lea?" he said softly. He tiptoed in, and changed into his bunny onesie. He crawled into bed, and put his arm around Lea. "Precious?" he whispered sweetly.

Lea slowly opened her eyes. "Hey," she said weakly.

"Awww, how's my baby?"

"Okay, I guess."

"Does it need anything?"

"No, I'm good."

Sméagol stroked Lea's head. "Precious," he whispered, kissing her forehead. "Don't ever feel guilty for needing me. It's not your fault you're sick, Sweetie, and I don't mind helping you. You don't run me ragged. I promise."

"I just... I hate that you have to do literally everything for me, and I feel like every time I ask you for something, I'm bossing you around. You're so good to me, and I feel like I'm treating you like my slave."

"No, my precious, you're not. I loves helping you, and you're always so sweet and polite when you tells me what you needs."

"I try to show you how thankful I am, but I feel like 'thank you' isn't good enough."

"It's more than enough, and you always tell me to take a break."

"Because, I can tell how tired you get, and I feel really bad."

"Awww, don't. I don't mind at all. I would do anything for you, because I loves you so much."

"I just wish there was something I could do for you in return."

"You already have, my precious. You loves me. Nobody loved me for a long time. Everybody hated me."

"That still really hurts me, because you're so unbelievably sweet."

"Awwwww, bless you." He kissed her lips.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, Precious."

"How are you so strong?"

"What does it mean?"

"Well... with everything you've been through... you never gave up. You kept holding on. What I'm going through right now, and what I went through, it's nothing compared to what you had to deal with, yet I came so close to giving up like, a zillion times. I don't handle shit very well, and I know that, if I had to go through everything you did, I wouldn't even last five minutes, let alone five hundred plus years. How did you do it?"

Sméagol thought about it. "I don't knows. Knowing the Precious was still out there somewhere, or maybe the possibility of things getting better again. I didn't think I would live to see that, but... part of me held onto that dream."

"I'm glad you did."

Sméagol smiled. "Me, too, and I'm glad you never gave up." He kissed her forehead. "Do you want me to sing you to sleep?"

"In a sec. I really need to go to the bathroom first."

"Alright."

Lea made her way to the bathroom, did her business, and brushed her teeth. Then, she went back to her room, and climbed back into bed with Sméagol.

"Awwww, come here, Baby," Sméagol said so sweetly as he wrapped the sweater blanket he made around her. Then, he pulled her close, and wrapped his arms, legs, and his tail around her. "How does that feel, Precious?"

"Awesome," said Lea. "Every time I snuggle with that blanket, I always feel better, like I'm not sick anymore, and every time you wrap yourself around me, I feel like I'm in a warm, fluffy, safe cacoon. I feel like an angel wrapped himself around me, and it makes me feel so loved and special, and like everything's gonna be okay. You're my angel, Sméagol, and I love you so freaking much."

"Awwwww, I loves you, too, my precious, and I will never stop taking care of you. I will never give up on you." He kissed her cheek. "And, I will never leave you. You're my baby, and I loves you forever." He held her tightly, and sang the sweetest rendition of "The Blessing" by Celtic Woman as Lea fell asleep in his arms. "Awww, you're so beautiful," he said softly when he finished the song. He kissed her again, and stayed where he was, holding her and watching over her as she slept.