Chapter 17

Two days had passed since the capture of the Original and yet, even though it had been just over 48 hours, we had heard nothing from his siblings. Whether it was because they didn't care or because they didn't know or even because they were planning something against us, we didn't know. But, we also didn't care.

We all knew that Klaus cared too much for his family, despite keeping half of them locked in coffins for however many years, so we knew that we had the upper hand, which Damon seemed to constantly remind everyone.

The Salvatore's, as well as my godfather, all stayed in either the study or the living room as they tried to come up with ideas as to how to get rid of Kol and the other Originals, yet the constant swearing and arguing told me that they were starting to panic.

I had resigned to staying in the upstairs library and away from the monster that was chained up in the dungeons. Though he couldn't physically hurt me, the emotional damage that he could do was almost ten times worse. Ever since our encounter down in the cells, the images of what he threatened to do coursed through my head making me feel sick to the bone. If there wasn't a way to kill the Originals, I had no idea what we would do.

Shutting the limited edition of 'Frankenstein' that I had borrowed from Stefan's extensive collection, I leant my head back on the armchair in the library and closed my eyes, letting the worries of the real world slide through my fingers.

I relived the memories of my life in Mystic Falls, though it was brief; trying to understand the mess that I had got myself into. My life wasn't a box of roses before the supernatural town, anyway; death and destruction seemed to just follow me wherever I went, yet at least back in England, there wasn't Kol.

Recalling the night of the Mikaelson Ball made me recoil in embarrassment at my stupidity. Looking back, it was obvious what Kol was up to. I was just too blind to see it. But, blind by what? It wasn't his charm, or his looks; so what was it? And, the fact that he went through that entire night of flirting and niceties just to get my blood; even for a psychopath, just didn't make sense. Was hiring and killing a witch just to get my blood really worth all the effort?

Suddenly, my head shot up. 'It doesn't make sense...' I muttered, reliving the night in my head one last time. In a heartbeat, I was on my feet, running down the corridors and the flight of stairs before reaching the door to the dungeons, not even bothering to stop to say anything to Ric who was reading the paper allowed to the brothers; something about another four girls found dead, making it a total 15 girls since the night of the Mikaelson Ball.

Yanking the door open, I stormed down the stairs and through the corridor 'til I reached the door of his cell. 'It doesn't make sense,' I announced, watching his still figure lie against the right hand corner of the cell. However, he didn't move an inch. 'What you did just doesn't fit. Why would you get a witch to attack me just so that you could get me into your room and drink my blood?'

'You'd be surprised what men do for the company of a female,' he muttered; his voice quiet due to his hanging head. Slowly, he raised it, giving me his infamous smirk. 'I've done worse.'

'That doesn't surprise me,' I replied. 'But, it still doesn't make sense. You'd have had to plan out the entire night down to an inch and that just doesn't sound like you.'

'How kind of you, Cassandra,' he replied, looking at me through hooded eyes as he slowly dropped his smirk.

'So, then; explain it to me. Who was that witch and why was she after me because you clearly know more than the rest of us.'

'And who's to say that she was just a girl jealous over the attention I was giving you,' he said with a smirk causing me to roll my eyes.

'There's more to this than you're letting on. I know it. What I don't know is why you're taking credit.'