Chapter 3

My head whipped round to see a tall man with curly light brown hair, grinning down at me like he had just won a prize. 'Surely by now you must know that walking the streets at night is not safe for anyone. Especially one such as yourself,' he said, gesturing to me as though to emphasize the point that he was talking about me.

I gave him a confused look as I thought of a way to escape. The guy didn't look like an axe murderer but, then again, they never do. But, it was the way he was talking. Walking the streets at night is not safe for anyone? If that wasn't a huge hint at something sinister, then I don't know what is.

The man laughed quietly, pulling me from my thoughts. 'Obviously your recent arrival has not trained you about life in Mystic Falls. No matter. You live with the Gilbert's. You'll end up walking into trouble sooner or later,' he said with a look that meant that he was hiding something like a private joke.

Ignoring his words, I tilted my head as I watched him with caution. 'Who are you?' I asked, knowing I sounded far from brave. If this guy had super hearing, I'm sure he could have heard my heart beating a thousand miles an hour.

He gave me a look of shock, though I wasn't sure whether it was because he had forgotten to introduce himself or whether it was because he couldn't believe that I didn't know him. 'They really are keeping you in the dark, aren't they?' the man said whilst smirking; his eyes never leaving mine. 'My name is Niklaus Mikaelson. Though, feel free to call me Klaus,' he said with a little bow. 'And you must be the infamous Cassandra Nightingale that everyone is talking about,' he said as he straightened.

'Just Andy,' I said warily, giving him a small and uncomfortable smile.

'Ah, just Andy,' he said with a smirk. There was silence around us for a few moments; the stranger drinking me in with his blue eyes. The sound of the Grill door opening made Klaus' smirk disappear and instead was replaced with a hard line. 'It seems our meeting has been cut short,' he said with something in his tone that sounded like irritation.

As he turned round to admire the scene, I felt the need to ask him so many questions. Though he was a complete stranger and someone who seemed quite dangerous, I felt like he was an honest man or at least, someone who would tell the truth no matter the consequences. 'What do you mean?' I asked quietly, almost unsure of why I was asking. 'About it being unsafe at night and me being kept in the dark?'

Klaus simply turned round and gave me a sweet smile. 'All in good time, love. For now, though,' he said, leaning in closer so that his lips were next to my ear. 'Try not to go snooping around.' He pulled back to give me a smirk, before bowing slightly. 'Till next time, Andy,' and with a smirk, he was gone. I looked round in confusion about how he had left so quickly but then Alaric came bounding up to me with an apologetic smile on his lips.

'Sorry,' he said, breathing slightly heavier than normal as he walked round the car to open the drivers door. 'Forgot that I had the keys.' He gave me an apologetic look over the roof of the car before we both got in.

'It's okay. Nothing happened, anyway.'

'Oh yeah?' he said, turning the ignition with a tone of surprise. 'No one came and introduced themselves?' he asked, turning onto the road but not before giving me a suspicious look.

'Well, there was this one guy,' I started, causing Alaric's head to whip in my direction. Immediately realizing what he did, he turned straight back to the road, trying to act nonchalantly about it but I noticed his knuckles turning white as we passed by the street lights, waiting for me to continue. 'He said his name was Mike something. Or maybe it was Nick-'

'You mean Klaus?' he asked, trying to keep his tone even though it was definitely higher than normal.

'That's the one.'