Chapter 16

Waking up felt as though I had a hundred and fifty pound weight on my body, making me feel like I wanted to place my head in the pillow and never leave. Yet, the nagging feeling of burning questions inside made me rip the covers off my body and leap out of bed like a child at Christmas. Though, the second my feet hit the floor, I fell flat onto my face.

'Like Bambi on ice,' came a voice from the side. I slowly lifted my face to see a smiling Matt leaning against the door holding too mugs; steam slowly rising from each.

'You're not just going to stand there and laugh at me, are you?' I asked, feeling shooting pains up and down my right wrist.

'I would, though I imagine that you'll one day repay the favour,' Matt grinned as he walked over to the bedside table beside me. He placed the mugs down before easily picking me up and placing me on the bed, reaching for the mugs before sitting down next to me.

'Here, this might wake you up,' he smiled as he handed me the boiling mug. 'I'd wait a minute before you drink,' he saisd as I raised the mug to my lips, only stopping a centimetre away to look at him questioningly. 'It's just been poured and Caroline made it.'

I nodded my head in understanding before resting it on my covered legs. It only took me a few seconds of staring to realize that I was in my pjs and not resting on my own bed. 'What exactly...'

'Don't worry, Damon didn't change you, though this is his bed which I find weird considering the amount of bedrooms they have here,' Matt laughed as he tentatively took a sip from his mug, shaking his head in distaste before placing the mug on the floor.

'Why am I in Damon's house?'

'Last night you were pretty much out cold and Ric wanted to keep you near so he suggested that you and Elena slept over. I think she's actually just gotten up,' he said, pointing with his thumb towards the door.

'What even happened last night?' I asked as I pushed a strand of hair behind my ear, suddenly feeling my cheeks redden at the thought of having bed hair though Matt didn't seem to notice.

'Well, from what I heard, you battled Kol pretty well but when it started to go wrong, Damon and Alaric came in and daggered him.'

'What happened to killing him?'

'See, that's the thing; only a very powerful being, like you, can kill an Original as well as a white oak stake, which we don't have. The only option we had was to bring him here and keep him locked away.'

'Wait,' I said, holding out my hand as though to physically stop him. 'Kol's here? In the house?' I asked, my eyes widening as I met his eyes.

'Behind a bolted door in chains with God knows how much vervain pumped into his system, yeah.'

'So, he can't hurt anyone?'

'Well,' said Matt as he reached to rub the back of his neck. 'I wouldn't say that...Look, why don't you get dressed; I think Elena brought over some clothes last night, and then you can see for yourself.' He slowly bent down for his mug before standing up, smiling down at me, before walking towards the door. Just as he was pulling it shut, he popped his head back into the room. 'I wouldn't drink the coffee, by the way,' he said with a smirk before shutting the door gently.

I dragged my hands down my face before flopping backwards into the sheets. As I stared at the ceiling, flashes of images from the previous night darted through my head. I could almost feel the pressure of Kol's hand wrapped around my neck causing me to shoot up and whip my head round the room in fear.

I tried shaking my head in an attempt to rid myself of the images yet they stayed. Opting for option B, I lifted myself from the bed and walked into the bathroom. Seeing the clean sheets on the railings, I stripped free of my tank top and long bottoms before unraveling myself of my worries in the shower.