Chapter 9• Fight For Your Life

I WAS LISTENING TO THIS SONG WHILE I WAS WRITING THIS CHAPTER IF YOU WANTED TO LISTEN TO AND ALSO THOUGHT IT FITTED NICELY WITH WHAT WAS GOING ON.

Eric and I ran down to the dorms, where most of the others were staying. We had to make a few turns to avoid some of the erudite.

"There's an Erudite attack!" Eric and I yelled in unison. We looked up to see all the initiates held at gunpoint.

"I think they know that." Johanna, the leader of erudite, spat at me like i was toxic.

I stopped on my heals as erudite members had started to crowd around both Eric and I. They grabbed me from behind and held a knife to my through. Eric and Peter instantly tried to run at me before being shot in the foot. It happened simultaneously. Weird. Both Peter and Eric fell over, grabbing their foot and screaming in pain. I put my hands up in defeat.

"You want me. That's what my parents said." I mentioned and all the erudite in the room nodded in synchronicity. "Take me. Leave my friends alone. Please." I pleaded with all i had left in me. A single tear fell from my eye, but instead of wiping it away, i left it there as it rolled down my check. I mostly didn't move because there was someone threatening to kill me right now, but part of me left it there as a sign of good-bye to my friends and brother, the only people who ever cared for me.

"NO!" They yelled. To most people it would just sound like a bunch of screams, but i learned to understand what they were trying to say, most of the time.

I got one glance back at my friends... No scratch that, i got one last look at my family, the only people who actually cared what happened to me. I mouthed the words 'stay safe' to them. I was going to figure out why Johanna wanted me. How could she have known i was divergent? I didn't even think about it sense my aptitude test.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After being dragged to Erudite, i was thrown in a cell in the main hall for people to watch, like i was an animal in a zoo. Robert Black was one of my best friends back in abnegation. I saw him once down the hall, but he didnt see me. All i got was a granola bar and a glass of water twice a day. All i could do was sit and wait for whatever they were going to do to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After what i was told was three hours, but felt like three decades, i was dragged from my cell, to the infirmary area. On the way i get a quick glance at a clock in another room. 9:24. Its been the same all week. I bump into the girl dragging me away, not bothering to say sorry. It feels weird, guess i haven't totally left my abnegation side. Im proud of that side of me, the side that gives my life for my friends, the side that helps people up when they fall. I'm also proud of my dauntless side, the side that's not afraid of what might be lurking in the dark, the side that craves for my blood to transform into adrenaline. It's also what makes me kick the legs out from underneath the girl dragging me to wherever i was going. I run as fast as i could towards the nearest fire exit, like a young girl running towards her parents after a bad day at school. It was my only way of getting out of here. I turned a corner and there were two guards half-walking-half-running, my way. I turned on my heel and ran the other way. I had some friends here from when my parents and i would visit. I knew where there apartments were, so i ran to the closest one. I knocked on the door eagerly. Once. Twice. And a third time even louder. i ran to the next-closest door. Again no answer. I tried one more door and thankfully Claire, one of my bestfriends from Erudite that i also knew from school, opened the door. Her hair was a mess, so i guess she didn't have class today and was sleeping in. Claire was a year younger than me, but with my height disadvantage, it was like i was looking up at a skyscraper.

"Beatris?" She asked as i pushed past her into her apartment and closed the door behind me.

"I..need..help..." i managed to choke out between bone dry, too short, breaths.

"What can i do?" she asked worriedly.

"Ineedtoborrowsomeofyourclothesandstaywithyouforabituntilifindawaytogetoutofhere." I say in one rush breath.

"Whoa, slow down there."

"I need to borrow some of your clothes and stay with you for a bit until i find a way to get out of here." I repeat much slower this time, giving her a hopeful look this time.

"Sure. Come with me and explain what's going on while i get you some clothes." Claire said while walking over to her dresser and picking out a blue shirt and a pair of light blue jeans matched with glasses and blue sneakers (Picture above).  She showed me her bath room  and i quickly changed before her and i walked out into the halls.  We turned a few corners in awkward silence before stopping in front of a glass meeting room.  We walked in and sat down on a blue leather couch.  She turned towards me and motioned for me to start talking.

"Johanna, she sent my parents to come find me at dauntless.  They tried to kidnap me but i fought them off with the help of my boyfriend and some of my other friends.  A couple days later, Joanna came herself with some other guards and successfully captured me.   I was taken here and put into a cage in the main hallway.  I was being dragged towards the infirmary, like every day, and like everyday, it was 9:24.  I don't really think that's important but you never know.  Anyways.  I beat up whoever was bringing me to Joanna and the infirmary.  I ran away from the guards and tried a couple doors before you opened yours.  Then you know what happened from there." I explained

"Wait! You have a boyfriend?" Claire practically yelled at me.  

"Yes, his name is Peter and we were in the same initiation group until The whole situation that happened." I explain to her like she was a child. "Enough about me, how have you been?" Claire sighs when i say this.

"Not great."  She said not making eye contact with me.  "I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay." I reply genuinely. We talk for a bit but we were soon interrupted by someone walking in the door.  

"Have either of you seen Beatris Coulter, six-teen year-old dauntless initiate.  She beat up one of our guards and ran away." I shake my head no and so does Claire.  Or at least i thought so until i heard the guards next question.  "Where could i find her? Do you know?"  With that i got up and left. I went to the library, so it looked like i fit in, and so that i could lose the guard that was on my tail.  I ran to the train and went back to dauntless. I was going home