Worlds Apart || Infinity Portal

(So here's the first chapter in a new miniseries!

*starts crying*

I am so mean, I'm sorry Grian, you didn't deserve this

Best not to read this in public, this whole series is just one boatload of angst and I'm crying inside)

"Oh, goodness, what's happening now?"

Grian had simply been doing some reconnaissance (ie. snooping around without permission) around Area 77, and he had just found the legendary Infinity Portal.

Doc and Scar had opened up Area 77 as a theme park for the public—all his time as a Hippie had been for nothing!—but they'd announced this very portal to be a ride.

It certainly looked strange enough to be in Area 77. It had multiple blocks of obsidian missing, which left the portal somehow intact. Grian didn't even know how this was possible.

Scar had said they were turning it into a ride, but it didn't look finished. It was too good to pass up.

Grian stepped closer to the portal, wondering if it would take him to his "wildest dreams", as Doc and Scar had put it. He seriously doubted it—most likely, it would take him to the Nether, which would be later fixed by Scar to look like a whole new area.

Mustering up his courage before he lost it, Grian stepped through the portal.

He wasn't expecting anything exciting. Maybe some new unexplored Nether regions, a new Nether fortress; but what he wasn't expecting was to appear in the Overworld, an area that was full of buildings as well, like an already built-up world.

Like a whole new world entirely...

Grian felt sick. He hadn't been here since he had appeared in the Hermitcraft world. He'd almost forgotten about it entirely, but he'd missed its members every day.

This was Evo.

He could recognize it immediately—he'd lived in this world for over a year. He knew each building like the back of his hand.

This was surreal. How did a portal from an entirely different world take him back here?

Then Grian remembered what Doc had said.

This portal will show your deepest desires. Even if you haven't told anyone about it.

It was true—Grian missed Evo every day. After the Watchers had taken him away, he had tried to stay in touch with the other Evolutionists, but that grew harder and harder until he had lost touch entirely.

Grian let out a little gasp. The Evolutionists. He could see them again.

Was this in the future, the present, or in the past?

Grian had stumbled out of a Nether portal right in the middle of spawn. There wasn't even supposed to be a Nether Portal here. He was nervous. What would the others think of him? Would they be mad, sad? Did they even miss him...

...Or remember him?

"Netty, we need to fix up these Creeper holes." A voice said, startling Grian. Two familiar people appeared from the trees. Grian stumbled a bit.

Taurtis and Netty.

"I know that, we just need to—Grian?"

Grian wished that he could hide in the Nether Portal again, but he couldn't make himself. In front of him were two people he had missed dearly. He hated it—but he also was grateful for this chance.

"Um...hi?" Grian said, then winced. Great start.

The two Evolutionists just gaped at him. Was it too late to go back to Area 77 now? Anything would be better than this—I'd even rather be caught by Doc right now.

Grian shuffled a bit, hoping that whatever they said, it would be good.

"How..." Taurtis finally said, after what seemed like an eternity. "How are you here? Am I...am I hallucinating? Netty, are you seeing this?"

Netty's mouth moved, but no sound came out. "We thought you were gone! The Watchers took you away!"

"That's it," Taurtis said, slapping himself a few times. "I'm dreaming. I'm going to wake up anytime soon and be sad, because you, Grian, aren't real."

"The Evolutionists or Watchers are playing a prank on us," Netty said. "There's no way."

Grian couldn't help but smile. "That's right, Taurtis. I'm a figment of your imagination. Of course, I'm real, you idiot."

"Yep, that's the Grian we know," Taurtis said, relief on his face, then hugging Grian tightly. Netty joined, letting out a little happy squeal.

"Ribs," Grian squeaked. The two let him go, smiling hugely.

"Where have you been?" Netty exclaimed. "We thought you were never coming back!"

"Not that we're complaining," Taurtis said. "This is amazing! We've missed you!"

Grian sank a few inches in relief. They remembered him. They missed him. Not all was lost.

"It's a long story," Grian said, chuckling at the events that had happened in Hermitcraft. He'd thought Evo was crazy?

"You still haven't told us how in the world you got back here!" Netty said. "Were the Watchers nice today, or..."

"Oh, no," Grian said. "The Watchers just dropped me off in a whole new world entirely. But the question is, how have you guys been? It's been so long."

"Whole new world?" Taurtis blinked. "You can't just give us a piece of info like that and just change the subject! Explain."

Grian laughed a little. "It's called Hermitcraft. I...I don't really know how to explain it to you guys. I came in through the Nether Portal. Maybe..." He got an idea. "Maybe I could show you. For yourselves.

But, before we do, can we take a tour of this place again? It's been ages."

"Well, duh," Taurtis said. "Not a lot has changed since you left. I think we all felt like the world wasn't complete without you."

"I still can't believe you're back," Netty said excitedly.

The trio took off, laughing and bantering right where they left off. As Grian looked around Evo, he was greeted by a wave of nostalgia from all the builds. There was his base, and over there was the train station. They also ran into old members like BigB, who were at most shocked and ecstatic that their old friend was back.

Their time touring the world came to a stop much too soon. Before Grian knew it, they were right back at spawn, facing the Nether Portal.

"You guys ready?" Grian asked Taurtis and Netty. While the other Evolutionists were very happy that Grian was back, only Taurtis and Netty were accompanying him to Hermitcraft.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Taurtis said.

"What's it like?" Netty asked. "How big? What do you do?"

Grian laughed a little. "You're about to find out."

Bracing himself, Grian placed one foot into the Nether Portal. He looked back one more time at Evo, then at Taurtis and Netty.

"See you on the other side."

He stepped through the portal.

Stepping out on the other side into Area 77, Grian turned around, ready to greet Taurtis and Netty.

"Welcome to Her..."

Turning around and fully expecting to see a Nether Portal and two Evolutionists, Grian was greeted by...nothing. The portal was gone. Taurtis and Netty were nowhere to be seen. Every trace of the magic that had taken to his old world was gone.

And he hadn't even gotten to say a proper goodbye.