Muharram (Hijri 1436)

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

MUHARRAM

Ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) came to Madinah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of 'Ashura'. He said, 'What is this?' They said, 'This is a righteous day, it is the day when Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemies, so Musa fasted on this day.' He SAW said, 'We have more right to Musa than you,' so he fasted on that day and commanded [the Muslims] to fast on that day." [Reported by al-Bukhari, 1865] "This is a righteous day" – in a report narrated by Muslim, [the Jews said:] "This is a great day, on which Allah saved Musa and his people, and drowned Pharaoh and his people." "Musa fasted on this day" – a report narrated by Muslim adds: " … in thanksgiving to Allah, so we fast on this day." According to a report narrated by al-Bukhari: " … so we fast on this day to venerate it." A version narrated by Imam Ahmad adds: "This is the day on which the Ark settled on Mount Judi, so Nuh fasted this day in thanksgiving," and "commanded [the Muslims] to fast on that day" – according to another report also narrated by al-Bukhari: "He SAW said to his Companions: 'You have more right to Musa than they do, so fast on that day.' "

'Abdullah ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them both) said: 

"When the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) fasted on 'Ashura' and commanded the Muslims to fast as well, they said, 'O Messenger of Allah, it is a day that is venerated by the Jews and Christians.' The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, 'If I live to see the next year, in sha Allah, we will fast on the ninth day too.' But it so happened that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) passed away before the next year came." [Reported by Muslim, 1916]

Ash-Shafi'i and his companions, Ahmad, Ishaq and others said: 

"It is mustahabb to fast on both the ninth and tenth days, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) fasted on the tenth, and intended to fast on the ninth."

With regards to the blessings of this fast, it is recorded in a narration of Sahih Muslim that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) was asked regarding (the virtue of) the fast of Ashura. Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) answered:

"It is compensation for the sins of the past year, i.e. the sins of the year that has just gone by will be forgiven".

[Suhih Muslim, vol 1, pg 368].

Besides fasting on the day of Ashura, being generous to one's family and spending on what is normally spent on food, etc. is a very meritorious act. Certain scholars are of the opinion that the Ahaadith in this regard are not authentic. Hence, there is no special virtue for increased generosity on the Day of Ashura. However, this is not correct. To substantiate this, Allama Sakhawi (Radhiallahu-anhu) writes:

"He who will be generous on his family on the Day of Ashura, Allah will be generous to him throughout the year"

This Hadith has been transmitted by Tabrani and Baihaqi in his book "As-Shaub" and Fadaail-ul-Awqaat and Abu Shaikh, all of them having narrated it from Ibn Masood. Tabrani and Baihaqi have also transmitted it from Abu Saeed (Radhiallahu-anhu). In his book "Ash-Shaub", Baihaqi has also narrated this Hadith from Jaabir and Abu Hurairah. Baihaqi therefore says:

"The chains of narrators of these Ahaadith are 'Daeef' Weak, However, when they are considered collectively, the chain of narrators becomes strong (i.e. the Hadith becomes reliable)".

Allamah Shaami too has indicated towards the authenticity of this Hadith.
He says:

"The hadith of generosity upon ones family is an established and authentic (Sahih) narration as mentioned by Hafiz Suvuti in 'Ad-Durar'".

[Shaami, vol 2, pg 155].

The Ahadith states that only two (2) special actions need to be performed during this month, namely:

i) The Roza (fast) of the 10th of Muharram, together with the Roza of the 9th or the 11th (of Muharram), and

ii) Spending (in the way of food and drink) on one’s family, on the 10th (of Muharram).

The virtue of the previously mentioned deed (No. ii) shall be that Almighty Allah SWT shall grant blessings (Barakah) to the person (observing the above practice) for the entire year.

Apart from the above two practices, all other deeds (for example the making of ‘Taziah’, giving of ‘sharbat’ with the intention that such act shall enable the Shaheeds (martyrs) of Karbala to quench their thirst, etc.) are incorrect.

Many erroneous beliefs exist regarding the Day of Ashura. It is necessary that such beliefs be discarded. The day of Ashura is regarded by many as the day of mourning the martyrdom of Sayyidina Hussein (Radhiallahu-anhu). To attribute the significance of Ashura to the martyrdom of Sayyidina Hussein (Radhiallahu-anhu) is baseless.

The significance of Ashura is from the time of Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) whilst Sayyidina Hussein (Radhiallahu-anhu) was martyred fifty years later than the demise of Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam). Similarly, the significance of Ashura is attributed to many such occurrences and events, most of which are not proven by authentic sources.

In refutation of such fallacious beliefs and customs, Sheikh Abdul Haq Muhaddith Dahlawu (Radhiallahu-anhu) writes:

"Beware, do not participate in innovations of the Rawafidh. Do not involve yourself in mourning, lamenting and displaying grief. This is not the conduct of Believers or else the date of the demise of Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) would have been more worthy of being observed (by mourning and lamenting)".

However, the performing of Isale-Thawab is permissible provided, it is not regarded as compulsory. Also, there is no compulsory rule that Isale-Thawab has to be performed on a specific day only.

Note: Isale -Thawab (i.e . the remitting of thawab to the deceased) is permissible. The method of Isale -Thawab is:

Upon the completion of any Nafl (optional) action, for example Nafl Salah or Nafl fast or Nafl charity which is given to the poor or needy, the intention should be made that the reward and thawab of this action be granted to a specified person or persons, Ex. one’s late parents or to the Ummat of Muhammad etc.

A/N ;)

For all those who celebrated ‘Eid ul Adha on the 6th of October (especially in India), the 3, 4, 5 of November are the 9, 10, 11 of Muharram. So you can either fast either on 3,4 or 4,5 In shaa Allah. And remember in beautiful Duas ;))

With Duas and Salaam,

abdurRahman (Gudi ;))