Rajab and Sha'ban

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

'Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.'

Aameen.

RAJAB

Rajab is the seventh month in the Islamic lunar calendar.

Hasan al-Basri reported that the Prophet of Allah(peace be upon him) said: Rajab is the month of Allah. Sha'ban is my month. Ramadan is the month of my Ummah (community).

-{Imam as-Suyuti has also mentioned in his Jami' as-Saghir}

There is no doubt that the month of Rajab is the key to the opening of the months of goodness and blessing.

Narrated by Anas Ibn Malik r.a that with the coming of this month, Rasulullah SAW used to make the following du'a:

Allahumma Baarik Lana Fi Rajaba Wa Sha'bana Wa

Ballighna Shahra Ramadan.

"O Allah! Bless us in Rajab and Sha'ban and make us reach Ramadan."

Rajab is the key to the months of goodness which follow it. For that reason Imam Abu Bakr al-Warraq said: "In the month of Rajab you sow the seeds, in Sha'ban you irrigate them and in Ramadan you reap the harvest." He also said: "Rajab is like a wind, Sha'ban is like a cloud and Ramadan is like rain."

Muhammad ibn Hātim informed us that Hibbān said that we were informed by Abdallāh from Shu'bah from Anas ibn Sirreen who said, I heard Abd al-Mālik ibn Abi al-Minhāl convey from his father that the Prophet SAW ordered them to fast the three "white" days. He said, "It is [equivalent] to fasting the entire month."

-{An-Nisa'ee. The "white" days are the three days in the middle of the month: 13th, 14th, 15th, so-named for the brightness due to the full moon in their nights.}

It was in this month of Rajab that M'iraaj (physical ascension) took place and our Nabi SAW was given the blessed gift of Salah.

A/N: To know a little further about the wonderful M'iraaj journey, check out @Aria08 "The Night Journey"

SHA'BAN

Our Nabi SAW has said: "Sha'ban is my month."

In a narration of Abu Dawud it is reported that our Nabi SAW used to keep roza (fast) abundantly in this month.

It is mentioned in the Ahadith that on the night of the 15th of Sha'ban, Allah SWT forgives all those who repent and seek forgiveness except:

i) The mushrik (one who associates partners with Allah);

ii) One who harbours malice towards another;

iii) One who unjustly takes tax;

iv) Fortunetellers;

v) One who severs family relations and ties;

vi) That man who wears his clothing (trousers, kurta or jubba) below his ankles;

vii) The alcoholic;

viii) One who causes hurt to his parents;

ix) One who commits adultery.

It is mentioned in a narration of Ibn Majah that Rasulullah SAW said that one ought to spend the night of the 15th Sha'ban in worship (Ibadat) and to keep fast during the day.

Allah's mercy descends from sunset, and Allah SWT asks (until the time of Fajr) whether there be any person seeking forgiveness so that He may forgive (such person) or whether there be any person wanting sustenance that He may grant that person (such sustenance) or whether there be any person in distress that He may assist him, or whether there be any person having such and such difficulty or seeking such and such favour or blessing so that He SWT may grant and fulfill their needs.

Hazrat ' A'isha (R.A.) reports that on a certain night she found our Nabi SAW missing. She went in search of him and found him in "Baqie" (the cemetery of Madinah) and this night was the 15th of Sha'ban when Rasulullah SAW said Allah SWT forgives more people than the strands of hair on the goats of the tribe of Banu Kalb.

From the aforementioned Ahadith we learn:

i) It is Mustahab for men to visit the cemetery and make du'a for those who have been laid to rest therein, on the 15th Sha'ban;

ii) It is good to make 'Ibadat on this night, but care should be taken that it is not made in congregation;

iii) It is very rewarding to keep roza (fast) on the 15th of

Sha'ban. (Much better if 13, 14 are included with the 15, as it's a confirmed Sunnah to fast on these three days of every month [based on the Islamic calendar] and the reward is as if you have fasted an entire month).

As the month of Ramadan follows Sha'ban, special care should be taken in the sighting of the moon (for the month of Sha'ban) and a proper record maintained of its dates.

A/N: For detailed notes about Shab e Bara'at, the 15th of Sha'ban, please check my profile for the work " Shab -e- Bara'at, 15th of Shabaan in the Light of Qur'an and Ahaadith"

Just a month more for Ramadan, aren't you excited? ;))) Indeed, may Allaah SWT bless us in these months of Rajab and Sha'ban and make us reach this Ramadan and many more to come and may He SWT shower us His beautiful Mercy... and forgive and guide us all! Aameen Summa Aameen ya Rabbul 'Alameen.

Wassalam.

With all my Duas,

abdurRahman :)