Shawwal

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

Shawwal

S. 1. The first day of Shawwal is the day of ‘ Eid;

Eid-ul-Fitr is celebrated on the first day of Shawal. This day is full of festivities, joy and happiness. During this day, Allah SWT forgives all the sins and rewards Muslims for fasting, reading the Holy Qur'an, and worshipping Allah during the month of Ramadan.

According to Sunnah, Muslims are suggested to fast six days during Shawwal. However, Allah SWT has forbidden Muslims to fast on the Eid day as during this day, Allah has recommended all Muslims to engage themselves in festivity and joy.

S.2 ‘Eid Salah with 6 extra Takbirs is wajib on this day;

The Sunnats of ‘Eid-ul-Fitr has been written jointly with the Sunnats of ‘Eid-ul-Ad-ha in the last chapter.

S.3 During the month of Shawwal, there is great virtue and benefit to be derived in keeping 6 optional fasts (roza).

Mostly, people assume that the blessings of fasting and worshipping end as soon as the holy month of Ramadan ends. However, this is not the case. The six days that follow the end of Ramadan are also very important when it comes to blessings and rewards. The Prophet (PBUH) said,

“Whoever fasts Ramadan and follows it with six days from Shawwal it is as if they fasted the entire year.” [Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, and Ibn Majah; Ahmad transmitted it from Jabir, Muntaqa]

According to Sayyiduna Thawban (RA), the Prophet (PBUH) also said,

“Whoever fasts Ramadan, and then six days after Eid, it is an entire year. Whoever does a good deed shall have ten times its reward.” [Ibn Majah, Muntaqa]

Therefore, during this month, Muslims should increase recitation of Quran as well along with fasting.

There are no conditions regarding the manner of the keeping of these rozas (i.e. whether these rozas should be kept immediately after Eid or be one after the other i.e. consecutively or not).

However, According to most fuqaha, it is best to fast for six consecutive days of Shawwal. This has been recommended by Hanafi, Shafi and the Hanbali School.

Muslims are permitted to fast separately or consecutively during the month of Shawwal.

It is also suggested to fast during this month as it allows the individuals to make up for any shortfall in the mandatory fasts of the month of Ramadan. Therefore, those who have missed even one of the mandatory fast of the month of Ramadan should fast as Qada during Shawwal as it holds high value.

S.4 The virtues of these particular 6 rozas of Shawwal shall not be attained if they are kept with the intention of qada (i.e. fast that has been missed during Ramadan).

 S.5 The months of Hajj are Shawwal, Zil-Qa‘dah and Zil-Hijjah.

S.6 Hajj is compulsory upon that person who has the means of travelling to Makkah and returning and spending on his accommodation during the performance of Hajj.

S.7 There are great virtues to be derived by performing Hajj and severe warnings for those who do not fulfill this duty.

For a more detailed discussion on the virtues of Hajj, refer to Hadrat Shaikh Maulana Zakaria’s (A.R.) book ‘Virtues of Hajj.’

A/N ;)

As said above, Fasting does not end with Maahe Ramadhan, try to keep these six days of fasts in Shawwal to please Allah SWT, the virtue is as if you have fasted an entire year! And can you even imagine the reward for it? ;D

 With Duas and Salaam,

abdurRahman (Gudi ;))