SUNNATS OF JUMU'AH (FRIDAY)

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

 ‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      -Aameen.

SUNNATS OF JUMU‘AH (FRIDAY)

The Holy Prophet (SAW) has said that Friday is the chief of all days and most honoured by Allah and its virtue is greater than even Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Azha. (Ibn Maja) 

S.1 Jumu‘ah preparations should commence from Thursday, such as the clipping of nails and removing of hair, etc. (Ihya)

 S.2 To have a bath (ghusl) on Friday. (Ibid)

Note: Whosoever has a bath on a Friday his sins are forgiven. (At-Targhib)

 S.3 To use the miswak. (ibid)

 S.4 To use ‘Itr (Halal Perfume). (ibid)

 S.5 To wear one’s best clothes, which, while not necessarily new should preferably be white as Allah likes white clothes. (Kimiya-e-Sadat)

 S.6 To proceed early to the masjid for the Jumu‘ah Salat. The earlier one goes, the greater the reward. (Bukhari)

 S.7 To walk to the masjid if posible. For every step is a reward of one year’s rozah (fasting). (Tirmidhi)

Note:

Tariq Ibn Shihab reports that the Prophet (S.A.W.) said: "Al-Jumu'ah prayer is a duty upon every Muslim in the community, save four: a slave, or a woman, or a child, or a person who is ill."  {Reported by Imam Abu Dawud}

 S.8 One should listen attentively to the khutba (sermon) even if one does not understand. One should not speak or even warn another to keep quiet while the khutba is in progress.

 S.9 When Nabi (S.A.W) name is mentioned in the khutba, it is ja ’iz (permissible) to recite Darud in the heart only (without the movement of the lips or tongue).

 S.10 Between the two khutbas one can make du‘a. It is permissible to make du‘a without raising the hands or moving the lips (i.e. du‘a should be made in the heart only without the movement of the lips or the tongue).

 S.11 To read:

Surah Al-’A‘ala (Surah No.: 87) in the first rak‘at of Jumu‘ah salah and,

Surah Al-Ghathia (Surah No.: 88) in the second rak‘ at. (Bukhari)'92

 S.12 To read Surah Kahf (Surah number 18) before or after the Jumu‘ah salat—according to one narration the recitation of Surah Kahf shall attain for one the forgiveness of one’s sins for the past week. (At-Targhib)

 S.13 To recite Darud e Shareef in abundance.

 S.14 In one narration it is reported that the recitation of the following Darud 80 times after ‘Asr salat on Friday before standing up from the place of salah shall be a means of 80 years of sins to be forgiven and shall also merit the sawab (reward) of 80 years of worship:

 Allahumma Salli ‘Ala Muhammadinin-nabiyyil-ummiyi Wa ‘Ala Alihi Wa Sallim Taslima

“O Allah! Shower blessings on Muhammad (S.A.W) the unlettered Nabi (S.A.W) and on his family and shower mercy (upon them also).”