Chapter 38

One month later

"Are you sure you're going to be okay at home?" Natalie asked. "I can drive back."

"No, no! That won't be necessary," I said as I adjusted the phone. "Are you forgetting Brandon is here?!"

I turned in my bed and looked over at Brandon who was getting dressed. I couldn't help but smile.

"I know he's there but I can't help but worry!"

Brandon turned and smiled at me. I rolled my eyes but didn't let my smile fade from my face. 

"Everything is fine Natalie, okay? We've got this. You go have fun in New Hampshire!" I chirped. "You've been waiting all year for your annual skiing trip. Besides, this is Dave's first time there."

While I was away for the month, a lot had changed. Liam and Natalie broke up. She had been inspired by my newfound openness and decided to confess everything to him. Liam was heart broken and angry, but ultimately understood. 

And boy, have I never seen Natalie happier. Dave came back to Boston right after she told him the news about Liam. He decided to stay in the area with her. 

She giggled. "Okay, if you insist. But please, please don't hesitate to call me. Okay? I love you and talk soon!"

"I love you! Bye!" I chirped back into the phone. The line went dead and I put my phone on my night stand. Brandon finished getting dressed and threw some clothes at me. I chuckled and quickly slid them on.

He laid back down next to me and started to kiss me.

Ronnie and Mark went back to Las Vegas and like Dave, Brandon opted to stay here. He waited for me the whole entire time I was gone and came with Natalie to visit me. He publicly announced to the media that he was no longer single and that he was happier than ever. 

I pulled away from Brandon and smiled at him. "I love you."

He kissed me again. "I love you too. I'm so fucking happy that you're home."

I blushed. "I'm happy to be home too. I'm feeling much better."

I started counseling while inside the facility and I continued on seeing one now that I was home. The recovery process had been going well so far, but some days were better than others. I had days where I felt like I had taken a thousand steps backwards.

My counselor assured me that this was all normal and there was no expectation for the process to be fast. Everybody heals at their own pace.

I started taking antidepressants and they helped improve my moods. Much of the depression had lifted and I found myself feeling more full of life, just as I used to before everything had happened.

"Hey, I have an idea!" Brandon said suddenly, breaking me free of my thoughts. He was playing with a strand of my hair. 

"What's up?"

"Wanna get some Chinese food and go see a movie tonight? My treat!"

Butterflies swarmed around my stomach. I sat up and clapped my hands together. "Let's do it! There's an awesome place Natalie and I used to go to. They have the best fried rice."