Chapter 2

“Maya, would you mind closing up the store tonight?” Anna asked, as she walked out of the kitchen, untying her apron. I spun on my heels to look at her.

“Sure, is everything alright?” I asked, feeling my stomach slightly turn. The only other time she asked me to close up, was when Betty was sent to the hospital, her blood sugar had been low and she passed out. Betty was a sweet old woman, and I couldn't stand the thought of something happening to her.

“Everything's fine, just, Dina is bringing Zayn over for the night.” Anna chuckled, as she pushed her way through swinging doors. I nodded my head. Anna handed me a key and smiled at me, before hurrying out of the cafe. Charlie had only worked till 7 tonight, he had a date with some guy named Dalton.

I was just about to turn my attention on cleaning up some of the tables, when the bell rang in the distance. I picked my head up to see it was non other than Talie, she never visited me at work. Her face was beaming. “What's up?” I asked, as she hurried over to the counter.

“I quit my job.” She announced. My stomach turned.

“W-what?” I stammered, hoping I was just hearing things. There was no way I could afford our apartment without her!

Talie only laughed at my distressed face. “Relax,” she began “I got another job.” I felt myself relax a little.

“That's good. Where at?” I asked, as I wiped down the counter.

“At the Tobin Hotel, front desk baby!” She chirped. I looked up and smiled at her.

“That's awesome! When do you go for your interview?”

“I went after school today!”

“Yay! Why didn't you mention this sooner?” I questioned. She shrugged.

“I didn't think I would get the job honestly. I got the job right away, and I already did training. I officially start tomorrow.” She explained. I nodded my head. “Where's Charlie?”

I popped my head back up. “He's on a date with some guy named Dalton.” I answered with a wink. She laughed.

“Ooh a Dalton”

“Mhm,” I sang “hopefully he's better than that last guy.”

“What was his name again?”

“Darien.” I said, sticking out my tongue. We laughed. Silence filled the room as I walked around the cafe, cleaning tables. “Two guys came in today, they were staying at the Tobin.” I said, casually, as I walked back over to the counter. Talie arched her eyebrows.

“Were they hot?”

“Talie..” I said, my voice trailing off. She laughed.

“I'd never cheat on Liam, I was just curious.”

I thought for a moment. “I didn't really pay too much attention. One of them had curly hair.” She only wrinkled her nose.

“Oh."

“Mhm.”

“What about the other?”

“Long hair.”

She sighed. “I was hoping I could hook you up with one of them.” I stopped dead in my tracks and shot Talie a look.

“No.” I spat. She groaned and I walked away from the counter and back over to the tables. I began stacking up the chairs, making it easy for Anna to mop the floors tomorrow morning before opening.  

“You haven't dated anyone since Dick Face.” She noted. I turned around and put my hands on my hips. What business was it of her's if I dated anyone?