Chapter 12

I sat down across from Brett, in the cold restaurant. It was nearing the end of September and they hadn't transitioned over to heat. Goosebumps rose across my arms, even though I was sporting my heaviest hoodie. He didn't take my eyes off of me, which didn't help with my chills.

The buffet was packed tonight. I watched as a group of people walked up to grab their plates. We, were waiting on our drinks. Typically, you receive them paying for your meal, but the line was practically out in the parking lot. They wanted to move people along.

I kept my attention guided away from Brett. His eyes still traced my body. I finally decided on making an excuse. “Hey, I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back.” I said, turning just enough to catch a small glimpse of his face. He nodded.

“Hopefully our drinks will be here, when you get back.” He smirked. I didn't smile back at him, I just stared down at my feet, and made a bee line for the bathroom.

I was shocked to see the bathroom wasn't packed. I ran my fingers through my hair and stood in front of a mirror. My mascara had smeared and I couldn't help, but wonder if that's what he had been looking at this whole time. Deep down inside, I knew it was just the opposite. I needed to stop sugarcoating things.

I rubbed the smeared black mascara as best, as I could. I rubbed the bit of remains, that was spread across my finger, onto my jeans. I turned on the sink and ran my finger under some water, and gently rubbed the spot where the makeup had smeared. It didn't do anything. I sighed and rubbed my fingers on my jeans once more. The sink was one of those motion censored ones, where all you had to do was put your underneath the faucet and it would turn on.

I didn't leave the bathroom. I stood there, pretending to mess around with my hair. I was procrastinating for as long as possible. A women walked in and stared at me. I guess it was my cue to leave.

I walked past the buffet and made my way back to the table. He smiled at me as I sat down. I poised my lips. He slid a cup across the table. “Your soda.”

“Thanks.” I muttered, grabbing it. I placed it down on the table and reached across for the straw. I opened the wrapper and took a long drink.

 “Are you going to get anything to eat?”

 I didn't look at him. I kept my eyes on the table. “I told you earlier, I'm not hungry.”

“Maya,” he began “I'm trying to turn things around. You being stubborn isn't going to do a damn thing.” I looked up suddenly.

“What the fuck does that have to do with being hungry?!” I scoffed.

He licked his lips. “I'm trying to be nice.” I ruffled my hair.

“Food doesn't make up for the damage that was done...” My voice trailed off. I looked up at him, shyly. He had a blank look on his face. We sat there in silence, the only sounds were coming from the other other people in the packed restaurant. Bangs and clangs came from the kitchen every now and again. We just had an awkward stare off.

His lips twitched every now and again, he was trying to come up with a response, but nothing came out. I eventually sighed, getting up, leaving the awkwardness behind. I went and grabbed a plate, to shut Brett up, but Natalie's words were suddenly racing through my head: you never give up a chance for free food!'

I smiled a little to myself and turned around, he was staring at me. I nudged my head towards the buffets, that were scattered around the restaurant. He got up slowly. I turned away from him and went on my way.

I grabbed a small selection of food. A taco, french fries, and some fruit. I grabbed a fork and headed back to the table. Asshole wasn't back yet, so I began eating.