[Beta] Chapter 28

(A/N: Oofy Doof, I wanna end this book. Let's get this bread and make a 'good ending' in a later chapter.)

     Once free from the confines of the Hokage's office, Rin and Obito were free to wander the streets of Konoha again. They marveled at the changes together and exchanged their inside jokes about familiar places.

     Still, something was keeping Rin on edge, making her weary and looking in every direction as though her life depended on her. She was trying to avoid Rin Maru's family, afraid and disgusted with herself to even face them.

      Rin's interest had been caught as soon as she had the decision to reincarnate. It was an escape, a way to get out of the nightmares that replayed every single second that she was dead. They said that souls can rest in peace when they're dead, but it's a lie. No matter what you do, you'll always be plagued with your regrets and shortcomings.

     She still never wanted to kill Rin Maru, the innocent and sweet daughter of a lovely civilian couple, much like her parents.

     Was she to blame for everything that happened to the poor child? Did her securities somehow cause poor Rin Maru to be bullied by her peers? Was Rin's mentality the cause of her not speaking up and lashing back?

     It was sickening. Rin didn't deserve to be back. No, she should be dead, back to her mind and sanity being chewed away by the things that she caused to occur.

     "Rin, " Obito called out to her, a bit concerned, "Are you okay?"

    "Yep!" she replied cheerfully back, a forced smile stretching over her lips, "Why do you ask?"

     "You look slightly pale."

    "Oh... That's probably from me coming back to life earlier."

      Right, there was no escape, no matter how hard she tried to return to her rightful place as a broken soul, she would only come back in the land of the living.

     That was right. She was the one overseeing this all. It was obvious that whoever she had spoken to hadn't been the one supporting the idea.

     Rin agreed with the mysterious voice.

     She was scum.

     "Hey!" Rin smiled brightly, "Let's go over there."

     She pointed to the Hokage Mountains in all its glory, magnificent and grand as the light highlighted the main features. 

     He nodded and picked her up gently, "Yeah, the view there was always great. Buckle up now, Rin."

      "Let's go."

     In a few seconds, they were already there and basking in the sunlight. The view was great and everything in view seemed fake.

     No, it was all still very real.

     Tears running down her cheeks, she couldn't stop the sob that escaped her. "O-obito... I'm sorry... I-I can't do this. I'm supposed to be dead. I shouldn't be happy."

     "Rin, " he murmured, wiping a tear off of her cheek, "It's okay. You can let it all out."

      "I'm sorry, " she blubbered, burying her head in his chest, "I made you come here, but I'm the one struggling the most... I'm the worst."

      "You're not the worst, " he assured her, gently pushing her back so he could lift up and chin and take a good look at her face, "You're the girl that I love."

     With that, his face just an inch and their lips touched. Though it had felt like the world had stopped, just like all the fairytales relayed, the darkness in her heart still poked and prodded.

Now, will Rin Nohara pass the test?

Haha, doubt it.

Just conclude this as a failure and move-on.

Oh? I can't?

Bullshit. Just let me see my son already.

(A/N: The last part is the narrator's own thoughts. Who is she? The world may never know.)